Are there any problems with Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Octa Core)? Are there any cheaper variants or is there a game this could not handle?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    6 months ago

there are many games it could not handle, but most of them are older.

it is MORE important to have a decent GPU, and an SSD for speed.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

There's the Core i7-9700kf that's usually a little bit cheaper but it lacks integrated graphics (iGPU).

If you're only gaming with a dedicated card this isn't an issue.

IMHO, the iGPU can come in handy in case the video card dies. Without the iGPU you will lose the Quick Sync feature, but that only comes in handy with select video editing programs.

It's important to note that most modern games will use up nearly all the cores. The 9700k and 9700kf will clock to 4.6ghz when all cores are in use, provided that the cooling is sufficient.

Old processors like the FX-8350 or Core i7-3770k can handle any game out there, but you won't get crazy high framerates with these processors in modern games.

If you have no intention of gaming on a 144hz display, then a Ryzen 3000 series processor is a better value. The new Ryzen processors come close to the i7-9700k and i9-9900k in gaming which puts these Intel processors in a awkward spot. For anything aside from gaming, the Ryzen 3000 series processors are generally better.

If you're on a strict budget and you only have so much money to spend on a video card and CPU, you would still be better off picking a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 CPU with a better Graphics card, as opposed to picking the i7-9700k and a lesser Graphics card. The i7-9700k and i9-9900k are good with gaming but you'll only benefit from these if you're trying to drive your framerates past 100fps. I'd suggest reading a few benchmarks and picking out a gaming monitor before you decide this is the CPU for you.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The price would be the only problem, it will easily run any game out there and should be fine for running games for years to come.

I've heard people say that such a fast core speed is only really needed if you're trying to play with a 144hz monitor.

• 6 months ago

K means an unlocked multiplier. There are slightly lower clocked versions of the i7-9700, but you'd only be saving maybe $30 to $50 at most. It's a current-gen mid to high-end consumer processor, so obviously there aren't any current games that couldn't run on it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Nothing wrong with that processor, but most game play is graphics dependent. Overkill on the CPU.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Nope.................................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.