Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 5 months ago

My online application to community college I applied for is accepted. Now I'm gonna apply for F-1 Student Visa, what my chances getting it?

It's my parents telling me that American visas are impossible to get saying most people they know had their visas denied. I don't know if they tryna scare me so I stay or it's true.

I just can't get out of my head if I don't get my student visa, what I will do. Just thought maybe if I ask this question I'll get positive feedback hopefully

6 Answers

  • 5 months ago

    As long as you meet the requirements (including finances), there's no reason it should be denied.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

    What is F-1 Student Visa

    A F-1 Student visa is issued to international students who are attending a graduation or post graduation course at a US college or university. Once granted they can remain in the US up to 60 days beyond the length of time it takes to complete their academic program.

    Major things to keep note of while applying:-

    F-1 applicants must have a foreign residence and must intend to return there upon the completion of their studies.

    While on your F-1 visa, you may only study at the academic institution through which the visa was granted.

    The chances of getting F-1 visa increase if you submit your admission form received from university, provide necessary information or supporting documentation as required while applying.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • drip
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    No way of telling. I know our community college had a pretty low tuition for international students, but requires them to show proof of funds to attend, which is a lot more money. As Ibu said you will probably need to find an apartment and furnish it. Have money for transportation, rat, food, personal items and most expensive health insurance.

    And you need to plan on transferring to a university to complete your bachelor degree or it all will be a waste of time and money. As stated an Associate degree will not be recognized in your country. University tuition and room and board can easily cost you over $50,000 per year. Can you afford to stay two more years and finish a bachelor degree?

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

    There are thousands of international students in the US on F-1 visas, so they are certainly not impossible to get. The usual requirement is that you show you have sufficient financial support for the years you will be in the US, since you are not allowed to work off campus. That generally means you have to show an amount of money in the bank that will pay for your expenses. If the school can offer you a job on campus, you can get a letter from them showing that, and that will reduce the amount of financial support you need to have from home. It sounds like your parents don't want you to go away. You'll need their cooperation to show that you have financial support.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

    First, associate's degrees offered by community colleges in US are not recognized or accepted elsewhere. So you have a serious problem proving to visa officials that you will have credentials recognized, accepted by employers in your country. You MUST return to your country immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. So having credentials which are recognized in your country matter a great deal.

    Community colleges rarely have dorms, on-campus housing & other facilities. You will have to rent, furnish, etc, an apartment near campus, and that's very expensive. Community colleges might sound cheap, but for foreign students, they can get very expensive. CCs are designed for local residents - young people still living at home with their parents! You fail to state which community college, or even which state, but in some areas, rent alone for an efficiency or studio (one room, not one bedroom) can run $1000-2000/month, plus utilities, etc. And you will need to buy furniture & furnishings, etc. You must prove you have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country to apply for any student visa. Do you & your parents have the money? Even going to community college, expect to prove you have at least USD50,000/year to pay for everything.

    Before you apply for student visa, you must pay your deposits (or first term tuition & fees) to confirm acceptance & obtain an I-20 form from the school. You must have that I-20 form before you can apply for student visa. You need to apply for the student visa 90-120 days prior to the start of classes to allow processing time, scheduling your visa interview at the nearest US consulate to your home, etc.

    From your limited info here, it does not look good for you to get a student visa. You are not ready to apply!

    BTW, student visas are temporary NON-immigration visas issued on the condition that foreign students return to their country immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. And you are strictly prohibited from working. Your question does NOT belong under immigration since you absolutely cannot & will not remain. Any suspicion that you are not returning to your own country promptly guarantees you will not get any temporary visa. That's visa FRAUD, and gets you permanent bar to entry to the country - and all countries US shares info with (practically every country on the planet). This goes under Study Abroad, not immigration, and is being moved to the proper category here.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

    We do not issue odds for getting visas. Look at the requirements. You either meet them, or you don't. If you meet the requirements you will get a visa.

    Remember, you are very limited on employment with a student visa and will not be able to get a job that will support you while you are here. You will need enough money in the bank to support yourself.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.