How does it work with rental cars and snow tires in Japan?

Update: I get that a car rented in Nagano in winter is going to have snow tires on it in the winter. What happens if you pick up a car at Narita and intend to drive it to a snowy part of Japan? Before you all tell me about public transportation, I have rented cars before in Japan and enjoyed motoring there. I've just... show more I get that a car rented in Nagano in winter is going to have snow tires on it in the winter. What happens if you pick up a car at Narita and intend to drive it to a snowy part of Japan? Before you all tell me about public transportation, I have rented cars before in Japan and enjoyed motoring there. I've just never done it in winter.
Update 2: AWD is fine but not essential as long as the tires are proper snow tires, and not the all-seasons that you get when you typically rent a car in North America.
1 answer 1