What to say to someone who is constantly going on about what i eat?

So everytime I go for my break at work my boss has to make comments about the food I eat also saying I need to lose weight ( my bmi is great for my age btw) but it's at the point were i don't even take food to work now or i have to eat in hiding or i get a rant about it saying it's disgusting ( like the time I brought a sandwich and a bag or crisps ) because crisps are junk food and my sandwich had no lettuce on it so he proceeded to say that's why I'm fat and shouldn't be eating like that, it's been really getting me down so I'm wonderimg what should i say to him, I've told him it's not his body and not every girl wants to be a size 6 but then he rants more

Favorite Answer

Unless you work in the health industry, the boss has no business telling you anything about your weight. If you cannot go directly to him and tell him to back off, you need to go to the HR dept. - if you have an HR Department, I'd go to them and explain that he is making a "Hostile" work environment for you (even though this is lunch break, it's still deals with your work environment. ) A note here, since someone has said it.... Going to HR will keep an eye on him and make it difficult for him to fire you for this.

It is also affecting your self esteem, which a boss is supposed to support by being a good boss. (Though to be sure, there are many bosses which have no idea how to be a boss.)

• Marvinator

I would say then that you have to stop changing your life to satisfy him. Eat what you want, do a good job. If he fires you over what you eat, then you can take that to the Wage and Labor board.

• Foofa

This is a hostile work environment and unless he owns the company you need to file a report with HR. If he is the ultimate boss get a solicitor and sue that company.

Honestly, the little bit of lettuce we put on a sandwich has almost no nutritional value. And if it's iceberg lettuce, it has none.

And it's not your boss' business what you eat, anyway.

So you know you need to lose weight, and your boss is overly concerned about it. He may be trying to motivate you, but doesn't know how to do it without offending you. You might change what you eat, like try a keto diet, and tell him "I'm working on it". After all, what's better than bacon and cheese? Chicken and avocado? You know you need to eat more veggies, just to keep your digestive system from clogging up and making you miserable. You can add lots of Ranch Dressing to it and call it keto also. Keto is the latest rage in health diets. That ought to gratify your boss and keep you happy as well.

• Shia6 months agoReport

I weigh 9 stones and am a size 8/10 i don't believe i need to lose weight, I do wear slightly baggy tops fair enough but it's taken me a long time to overcome things in my past and accept that i have curves and love them

• A.J.

I don't know the worker protection laws of the UK (or other countries referring to chips as crisps), but one path is asking him where the soup and salad bar is located at subsidized pricing? Say you didn't know they had initiated an employer sponsored programme on-site.

• shroud

you tell your boss to shut-up

picking/complaining about your weight is harassment and could easily be sexual harassment

• audrey

You can't go to HR because he'll find a way to fire you for it. But he is behaving like a jac*@$$. I would definitely look for another job ASAP. I would go back to bringing my sandwich AND my chips and just totally ignore his rude tapping!