Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Can you be a "family" living on your own? We lost our only baby 18 years ago but I knew that my husband and I?

were still considered a "family". My mother died and then my husband left me some years ago. I'm on my own now with no family. Can I be considered a "family" or do I need people around me? A strange question I know.

I have heard of people with very close friends, as considered family.

A family is based upon who you claim as family and who claims you. That is not limited to blood relations or whom you marry. It can include unrelated friends. But you can't be a family by yourself.

you can consider yourself whatever you want, im on my own too

A little deep this early in the morning, but my vote is "YES". How others see you should have ZERO bearing om how you see yourself. Are you telling me, just because he's not here, you didn't have a son? When he was here, you loved him, did that stop? People may see you as single. Live with the fact you know you had a family and still consider yourself as in a family. Stop letting others define you.

Now let's address the husband. He is gone. This makes you single. Now what are you doing to change that? Moving on from someone that chose to move on is NOT abandoning your family. It's time for you to take hold of your life and go forward.

Good luck

• Lili

No, one person is not a "family".

However, a family need not consist of relatives. It can include friends, too, or even friends only. Perhaps you should work on developing a family of friends.