why do these little things people do offend me?

i'm a man from britain , now in my forties, and a couple of things ; when i see other men around me wearing leather jackets, i get offended and annoyed because i think that hey are demonstrating that they are dominant and 'in control of things' over me? and i feel very annoyed - why is this?

secondly, if people use these words when addressing me, online, or in real life, i will again feel annoyed, irritated and take offense, if they use these words ; 'already' ' by the way' or type 'btw ' ' negative ' and 'still' -

if those words are mentioned i will usually feel offended and angry, because i feel that those words do not apply to me - are not relevant to me....and i have lost my temper before when people used those words....ive always been sensitive and easily irritated by little things people do.

but why am i getting so offended and annoyed when people do/say these actions and how do i get over it?

can i have serious, sensible answers to.

It's not unusual to miss the culture you grew up with, when you live in a different country. Even though British and American people speak "almost" the same language, there are many differences, as you've noticed.

My recommendation: Get a daily dose of British television programs such as David Attenborough's nature programs or "Midsomer Murders" (available on Netflix). That should make you feel more at home!

start thinking of what older male in your life wore a leather jacket like that. what kind of relationship did you have with them? who used those words--why did they bother you....

I am thinking these words and the image of a man in a leather jacket are hitting on memories of unpleasant relationships from the past.

• Jen

Because you have ideas about what things people do mean when the people doing them probably don't mean to offend you at all. Some people wear leather because they like the look or style, not because they are trying to assert dominance over you. And everybody has their little quirks when writing or speaking - no big deal to me if someone writes or says btw or already.

You sound insecure over people who wear leather vs someone throwing on a sweater.. As if they dominate you, but they do not..whatsoever. Talk to a therapist..

Second, you can't make people type what you expect them to. I read things that irritate

Me, but get use to it...

If you want to get to the core of why particular behavior annoys you, allow yourself to strip back and dissect your reaction/response so you can identify the specifics of what you find irritating and how that reflects your own life.

When people become annoyed/frustrated/irritated by others, it is often a reflection of how they see themselves.

It's called getting older. You'll get used to it.

• Hmm, well not sure why you'd be offended by a jacket, already. But by the way Wolfish, you should get over yourself - you're negative, still you lost the Battle of Hastings to the French, and would have lost WW2 without the USA. Just saying, by the way

maybe you should talk to your therapist about all this