Oil pressure still fluctuating, amything i can do about it?

Still the 1988 Ford F150, oil pressure was good on the stock dash gauge until the weather started getting hot and humid, now it drops scary low and then slowly comes back up and then drops again, anything i can do about that? hoping my engine isn't just wore out beyond any help

153000 miles but it had 128000 of those before I got it so i have no idea how it was treated before then but I do regular maintenance on everything like it's supposed to be done

trust me bra, when you really need to worry is if those lifters start clacking. thats when you know that oil isnt getting up into the top of that engine.

i've been there before. i went all the way from 10w30 to 20w50 in my f150 4.9 in order to stop an oil leak that was getting into my spark plugs wells. those f1cking lifters started clacking like crazy.

i put about 120 miles on that particular oil and then got that schit out of my truck within 2 days. i put 10w40 formula shell in it.

"Oil changed every 2000-2500 miles since I got it in 2003, can't vouch for before then, had 120000 when I got it"

you been staying away from synthetic and keeping that viscosity between 10w30 and 15w40 (heavy i know, but many people start using this stuff in vehicles with 200000+ miles on the odometer?

Source(s): nothing get that sending unit fixed, get a compressjon test, and listen closely to that engine
    • No lifters clacking at all and that's the puzling part of it, for sure stay away for that synthetic crap, conventional 10w40 Pennzoil is all i've ever used in it

Go to a mechanic and have them check the oil pressure with an external oil pressure gauge. The dash oil pressure gauges are never accurate.

Been changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles like you should be?

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Oil changed every 2000-2500 miles since I got it in 2003, can't vouch for before then, had 120000 when I got it

Check the wiring to the oil pressure sending unit. If all is good then just replace the sending unit. You can also have an oil pressure test run to make sure your pressure is good. Also make sure you are using a quality filter and not a cheap Fram filer. Motorcraft, Purolator, Wix, or Bosch is a good choice.

• Brand new sending unit from AutoZone, 10w40 Pennzoil high mileage, Purolator filter

It could be either a bad gauge or a bad sending unit. At least, hope it is. A competent mechanic will fit a known good gauge and sender, and tell you what's going on.

how thick is the oil you are using.

if the pressure is too low then jumps up to normal levels then bottoms out again you could have a leak, or are using too thin of oil for the climate

if the pressure is too high then drops to normal levels it is likely too thick for the climate OR there is a clog somewhere in the engine causing it to be too high

oil pressure will change as you drive the engine, it will be low when you start and it will increase as your RPMs increase.

• 10W40 Pennzoil High Mileage, that's all I've used in it since I got it in 2003

• Erik

You have an oil pressure gauge? I've never even heard of that, just a warning light. Try some of that Lucas Oil Stabilizer stuff.

• Yeah i have an oil pressure gauge, I've seen alot of trucks like mine on Youtube that have an oil pressure gauge but it seems like hardly anybody has heard of it

Usually that's an indication of a bad oil pump.

• New oil pump 10000 miles ago and the oil pressure only does that in hot weather, it's done it the last 3 y years in the summer but i was wondering if there was any kind of additive that would help the oil pressure

Sounds like the truck needs to be cubed.