Spilled boiling water on my laptop?

about an hour ago i spilled like half a cup of boiling water on my macbook air (2014) and screen went black straight away. it now wont charge or turn back on or anything. right away i tried to let it drain and i used a hair dryer to try dry it quicker. its now in a box of rice on its side draining and drying. is there any chance it will work again and what can i do to get my data off the hard drive as i have important uni work that i need :(

any help is appreciated

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

As most of the responses implied, it's most likely done for. I recommend taking Shadow's advice. if that doesn't help, taking it to an apple store will be a costly trip. as far as I know, you can pull the SSD out, so you're better off pulling that out if it works and pulling the data off it. buy a new MacBook and restore the data onto it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Shadow
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

The problem with boiling water is that it causes the expansion of components, resistors etc, that are not designed to expand and it may crack them preventing them from working. Water will short circuit everything. You need to let it dry. It will need to be left unplugged in a bag of silica beads (those little packets that come with certain products like shoes, electronics etc.) After at least 5 days, you can try it again. If it doesn't work, then unfortunately it's a bad loss.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You will know if it will work again after a week. It would be best to bring the laptop to the nearest Apple service center right away. Chances are, they'll just tell you to buy a new one already.

• 6 months ago

it is hard dead.

it is very likely you lost everything (as macs moved to non-removable drives around that time)

The second the computer went black it was gone. nothing you can do now will fix that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

it is likely dead. you shorted out the motherboard

• Joe
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The laptop is probably done for.

A decent shop can remove the hard drive, and try to recover the data on it. If the hard drive did not come in contact with water, itself, the odds will be in your favor.

It should not be very expensive to have a shop make the attempt. It will either work quickly, or it won't work at all.

• donnie
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

That’s the best you can do. It may unfortunately be done for.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.