Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

My two aunts are at war with one another. Should I take sides with the one who talks about it less even though the other one is nicer?

The other one is nicer and closer. However all she does is talk about the war everytime my Mom and I see her. The other aunt is a lot more distant and probably more at fault but she lives on the East Coast so we only see her on special occasions like reunions or funerals.

Whose side do I take? For the sake of my grandmother could I be neutral? My Dad is mad when I see the one aunt who initiated the conflict cause he likes to punish me in fights with his in-laws. My Mom meanwhile is the good guy who says I can do what I want.

Should I take sides with the one who talks about it less even though the other one is nicer? Since he uses me my Dad is the bad guy even though this is his wife's side of the family with these two aunts.

• Alex
    Favorite Answer

Stay out of it. Put your food down and say that whatever is between the two of them has nothing to do with you and you will not take sides and that you would appreciate it it if she didn't talk about it in your presence.

• -

This is a sibling situation and therefore, none of your business.

Why would you take sides in someone else's war? It has nothing to do with you, it's between your Aunts. Not you and your aunts. Let them work it out and stay out of their mess.

Probably don't take sides at all.

i wouldnt take sides and i would see whoever you want and if they dont like it thats their problem

You need to tell anyone who mentions that it is extremely unfair of them to ask you to take sides and that you wish never to judge anyone. Try not to take it all TOO seriously. Use some humour if you can. If your father (or any adult) tries to persuade you to take sides, ask them whether they had a similar experience when they were your age. How did/would they feel?