What do i need to learn at physics to program games ?

If i want to develop/create games i need to learn programming if i want to program i need to learn physics.

Now the question is what do i need to learn at physics to program games

I'm not asking to take courses at school, i'm just doing this at home for fun, or as a hobby

Tell me guys everything i need to learn

Thx and sry for my grammar.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

When you need physics in a game, the main topic you'll need to learn about is called "kinematics", which is part of a larger topic called "mechanics". In a class, the other important thing (more important than the physics for any graphical programming, I think) is the mathematics of vectors, which you need to describe what's going on and to solve problems.

Kinematics is basically the mathematics of motion, both linear and rotational. Mechanics includes that, but adds forces (gravity and friction, mostly) and Newton's laws.

You really don't need to worry too much about that until you get to 3D, and 3D game development is not really a "for fun, or as a hobby" kind of activity. If you can solve algebra word problems about time and motion, you probably have most of the math you need. (And, if you can't, then you're going to find physics really frustrating, I think. :^)

Much of the "physics" in a 2D game is done with sprite animation. If you know that (distance traveled) = (speed) * (elapsed time) then you know how to move the sprite between events; and changing the sprite animation sequence (like to an explosion when colliding with the wrong thing) lets you visually represent what happened to stop that smooth, regular motion.

A lot of that is true in 3D as well, but rotations, lighting, textures, etc. all add much more complexity than "just adding one extra dimension" would suggest. Take a look at the credits on your favorite 3D game to get an idea of how much work is involved.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Hi, pustanu.

Here's a start for you:

Every physical body has mass. Every physical body has a velocity, which can be positive, negative or zero. A moving body (i.e. non-zero velocity) has a direction of motion.

Acceleration due to the force of gravity on Earth = 9.8 metres per second per second.

A moving body has momentum, which can be calculated by

M = 0.5 * m * v * v

(momentum = half * mass * velocity squared)

You may also need some knowledge of trigonometry, to calculate angles.

Good luck!

Source(s): SCE 'O' Grade Physics
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.