Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 9 months ago

Really, how bad is the pain when getting a tattoo?

I am getting my first tattoo soon, I have always wanted one and am very excited for it. However I don’t take pain super well. The tattoo artists say that women cope with it better, but I am worried I will be super embarrassing. I am getting a tattoo on my ankle which I have been told is not extremely painful but I don’t know. What’s the worst that has happened to people that have had tattoos?

• bubba

avoid boney or fatty areas they both hurt more than on muscle areas , out of all my tattoos the one on the inside of my wrist hurt the most

I just got an ankle tattoo!! I got it as an 18th bday gift, it's my zodiac sign. If your getting it directly on your ankle, maybe aim 2-3fingers above your ankle bone, the meatier/fattier the area, the less pain! I hardly even realized the tatto artist had started until I looked down lmao!

1 - depends on your own pain threshold.

2 - depends on who you go to.

3 - depends on where you get it - the shoulder/inner arm are excellent 1st choice areas. The ankle/wrist/sternum are generally considered more painful as there isn't a lot of flesh to take the impact of the needle.

4- the most common feeling is a warm scratch (similar to scratching fresh sunburn)

It hurts more on bony areas but it's like getting scratched by a cat claw.

A lot depends on personal pain thresholds, but I for one wouldn't say that getting an ankle tattoo is one of the less painful ones. All tattoos cause some pain, but getting one on a less sensitive area such as, say, your shoulder, is going to cause less than on a bony area like an ankle, where skin is stretched over the joint with not as much padding. It can indeed be not only embarrassing but can lead to a decision to leave a tattoo half done, if you can't take the pain. Remember that, if you want, you can have the work broken up into shorter sessions if the tattoo is extensive or complex.

Ankles are more painful as they're bony.

It's impossible to say what your tolerance will be.

Stick a needle in your skin over and over, thats how it feels. However your body has a natural pain killer which will make the pain go down after a little while. I have a high pain tolerance so tattoos are nothing to me but ive seen others guys in the military cry from a tattoo so its really unknown how youll take it until youre there doing it. Feels like a mild sunburn in my opinion

Feels like someone scraping your arm. It’s not as bad as people make it or to be.