Anonymous

Does being a pet sitter a good job? Would I make a good sitter? How do I get started?

I'm not looking for a career just something to help make ends meet while I'm in college as well as happy while somewhat sane.

A few of my friends have advised pet sitting because I love animals and when it comes to animals I fear nothing.

I have a deep love and respect for animals, I actually love them more than people. Its almost therapeutic for me, because when I am around animals I am happy.

I've had pets all my life, mostly dogs, cats, rabbits and fish. I've fostered my share of kittens, and I even worked in a retail pet store for a few years. While I was there I made it a strict point to know all the best products for each and every pet at the customers price point, and this wasn't just dogs and cats it was lizards, birds, hamsters, rabbits, fish, you name it I had the answer.

Outside that volunteered with animals at my local nature center where I worked with hawks, eagles, turtles, fish, etc.... I also worked very briefly with an animal educator and helping him feed and maintain his reptile habitats (and these weren't little reptiles, these were retic and Burmese pythons, tegu, monitor lizards, etc...).

I know my way around pet lingo and can honestly say in regards to animal care the experts do not scare me.

So does any of that qualify me to pet sit? What does pet sitting pay (hourly and weekly), what are the pros and cons, what is the life of a pet sitter like? And what should I expect? How do I get started or where/who do I go to in order to start?

Thanks!

I should add I'm currently living with my parents and provide most of the care for a 75, 30, and two 5 gallon freshwater fish tanks (each with live plants), 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a ball python. All of them are thriving and spoiled rotten.

I also know what food items are toxic to certain pets, I know the signs that an animal is experiencing stress or is possibly ill, when to call and ask the vet about something, when you should make an appointment to see the vet, and when to rush to the emergency vet. In addition I also possess the ability to use common sense. If I do not have the answer to a question I will immediately seek it out.

Favorite Answer

I don't know much, but it sounds like a very cute and noble job.

Yes, it's an enjoyable job - IF you like animals and can follow the rules.

Personally, I just read your posting history. It appears that 2 years ago you were clueless about fish and animals. I would not hire you based on that fact alone.

• J C

Contact the local pet sitting services, and apply with them. You do have good credentials - but you are missing an important thing - being insured and bonded. I have a dear friend who has been my pet sitter for many years. On our last vacation (only 4 days) she had been hospitalized with heart issues. I hired a service that my vet recommended. It was great - she came to meet me and the cats, and to verify that the neighborhood was safe as was the home. The do not go to 'scary' neighborhoods nor filthy hoarder homes. The reason I used a service was clear - she is insured, bonded (background check and if anything 'goes missing' you get reimbursed by the company). If she had not been able to get there (illness, accident, etc.) the company would send out someone else. While you may have good experience, I wouldn't hire you. I don't know you. I don't know if you are trustworthy and reliable. Apply for a job - they are always looking to hire. Go through the bonding route. They will provide the liablity insurance, and you will get the extra cash you want. Visits vary - once a day, twice a day, three times a day for dogs, plus walking. They will work around your schedule.

If you are someone like Cesar Millan, it would be a good job.

Tell people you know that you'd like to be a pet sitter and see if anyone wants it done. I have no idea what pet sitters make where you live. You'll have to find people in your area who know. There's more than one kind of pet sitting. I mean, are you taking the pet into your home, or staying with the pet in its home, or dropping in at the pet's home periodically, and how often will you be doing that? What kind of pet is it? All those things may affect the price.

It's nice that you know about animals. I'd also want to know if you're responsible and reliable, like will you be there when you said you would and do what you said you would?

You can make up to 80 dollars