Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 3 months ago

About 56 billion land animals are killed for food every year... but how many are raised every year?

How many exist at any given moment? Surely a lot more since some animals aren't slaughtered until after 3 or 5 years of life...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Thorn
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

far too many, especially since people do not need to eat animals

see what how much you can help

http://www.thevegancalculator.com/#calculator

Demand For The Meat Falls;

https://www.plantbasednews.org/lifestyle/rise-of-v...

Attachment image
    • Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

People DO need to eat animals. They are good for us. And people are not starving due to people eating animals, that's petatard thinking.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

the netherlands has about 17 million inhabitants, 5 million cows&bulls, 15 million pigs, a million horses and 93 million chickens.

NB some of those chickens are killed at the ripe old age of 42 days. They have a genetic condition making them hungry no matter how much they eat. If you don't kill them young enough, their legs will break under the weight of their body

• Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Chicken bred for meat will not only grow fast,they will eat them themselves to death if you allow them to and if they are allowed to live beyond a 30-40 days then they will die any way due to broken legs and failing organs and the like

• Jeff H
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The problem with your figure is....no one really knows. I have seen what I assume is the source for your figure however there are numerous other sites that calculate even more when all animals, including fish and seafood are taken into account. Ironically the one that vegans complain the most about, cattle, is actually on a decline. Since the raising of domestic animals for food is balanced by demand, the number of chickens being raised is increasing while the number of beef cattle being raised is slowly declining. In general they try to balance out demand and supply to a point where the number consumed equals the number being raised.

• Daisy
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Your figures are bogus. There's no way to accurately say how many animals are killed world wide.

Except for breeding stock, most cattle are killed before they are 2 and chickens and pigs generally are killed within a year.

Now that we know you don't know what you're talking about in that regard, why should we believe anything you say?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Cows and the like are bred to be food. Its their only purpose.

Funny how vegans ignore the massive number of animals they kill just by eating plants, and by wearing clothing that comes from factories, and drive cars and own electronics

• 3 months ago

Goodness knows it's almost impossible to work out, people don't just raise land animals for human consumption.

People also raise animals for pets, conservation, clothes, to be eaten by other animals and to produce non-slaughter animal products.

• 3 months ago

Roughly the same number are raised as are killed - you have to remember that we are also killing animals that were born a couple of years back - it's the only way the system stays in equilibrium!

*I'm not saying it's right, I'm actually sceptical of that number - it actually seems lower than I would have expected!

• 3 months ago

Goats and cows and chickens and even pigs too!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.