WIll 205 55 R16 tires fit on my car.?

I have Lexus gs300 2003 with stock rims. The tires i have on them are 225 55 R16. I found almost brand new tires for a good deal but they are 205 55 R16 tires. Will they fit on my stock 16 inch rims or will there be any issues because the new tires are not as wide as the ones i currently have on my car.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Should fit, but the car will be slightly lower, and may not handle as well

• don r
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

They will fit, The speedometer may read a little faster, but check that with a GPS to see how different. Free tires are a good deal. However, actual performance depends on tread pattern and composition.

• 3 months ago

They will fit on the rims - but as others have pointed out, they are the wrong tires for your car.

Pay the extra cash for the correct tires.

• 3 months ago

Fit, yes. Acceptable, NO. The 205/55-16 tires are 3.36% or almost 1 inch smaller in overall diameter than the OEM tires. You should never go over or under 3% of the OEM size. Your speedometer will read too fast, engine will turn more RPMs, fuel mileage will suffer, and car will handle differently. Stick with the OEM size or at least stay within 3%. These tires are not acceptable on your car.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes, the smaller tires WILL fit, but they are also shorter than your OEM tires, which means your speedometer and odometer will not read correctly. Your fuel mileage may also change because your engine will have to turn faster to maintain speed.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

They are also going to be a little bit smaller in diameter. Your speedometer will read faster than you are actually going.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Bad idea. Not only will they lack grip when cornering, your insurer will deny any claim you make make.

So you will be paying premiums for no cover.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.