How long before a medical debt goes into collections?

I have three medical bills. One is due on August 30, 2019. The other two were due upon receiving the bill. Each bill is like 300 dollars, my health insurance covered some of it but it’s like a 60-80 percent plan and it’s not a major plan. So each bill was 500 and 600 dollars. Anyway I can pay the bills just in... show more I have three medical bills. One is due on August 30, 2019. The other two were due upon receiving the bill. Each bill is like 300 dollars, my health insurance covered some of it but it’s like a 60-80 percent plan and it’s not a major plan. So each bill was 500 and 600 dollars. Anyway I can pay the bills just in monthly payments. So my parents gave me advice to send in whatever amount of money I want and the bills won’t get sent to collections because they see that I’m making the effort to pay the balance. Some internet sources say that payment arrangements have to be made to prevent the bills from being sent to collections. But my parents have sent whatever money they wanted without formally making payment arrangements and nothing went to collections nor affected their credit scores or reports. How long after the due date does something go to collections? And how long does it show up your credit report?
1 answer 1