What can I cook on a budget?

• Janet
    Favorite Answer

Go for stir fries. Buy some sesame oil, soy sauce, vegetables, a bit of meat (pork or beef or chicken). That is all you need. A little bit of meat goes a long way with a stir fry.

Or start going vegetarian. Buy some dried beans (black beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, etc) and some rice and start eating beans and rice for your meals.

• denise

Shepherds / cottage pies.

Pasta dishes / casseroles / bakes.

A boiling fowl / chicken is made tender by simmering in water with a few veggies [the stock can be used later to make soup], It will stretch for a few meals, like;- roasts, salads, pies, sandwiches. the carcass can be further simmered in the reserved stock, strain out the bones, add any leftover chicken meat bits, mini pasta shapes, any leftover veg chopped up, for a tasty soup / broth.

By cutting back on costly meats, they can still be incorporated into meals, as stir fries, casseroles, pilafs, and one pot meals, and soups do. In other words, they can still be enjoyed, but not used as an entree to cut costs.

It's cheaper if you buy a whole chicken and portion it yourself. You can make quite a few meals out of it.

Vegetarian meals.

Pasta, rice.

Check out A Girl Called Jack - she wrote a cookbook while on benefits, so has some great idea for cheap but decent meals

pasta---pasta is cheap (get the kind with added protein) rice and beans, egg dishes (eggs are cheap protein)

Depends on the budget and size of family, can you give more details?

• Dimo

What "budget?" Where in the world are you, how many in your family/group, how much money you can spend? Why do you live? To many factors to give you a single simple answer.

For me, there is no such thing as a food budget -- budget is whatever money is left over once I have food. On the other hand, I don't waste -- I buy on sale. Chicken costs about a dollar a pound, pig about $2/lb, beef $3/lb. Higher cuts of beef can be bought for under $5/lb. "Ethnic" supermarkets have cheaper vegetables. Starches fill you and is cheap, less than two bits/pound.

So what can you cook on a budget? What do you enjoy eating?

As an example, tonight I will be making Chicken Cacciatore -- chicken legs ($.77/lb) onion ($.45/lb) canned tomato (about $3/lb) lesser amounts of whatever, served with French Bread sliced/buttered/garlic/toasted. About $4/serving.

• Groovy_Unicorn

See I'm the opposite. I'm bills first, then absolute necessities, then food. I figure I cant keep food cold or cook it if I dont have gas and electric. And if my daughter needs clothes she cant exactly run around naked. We just make do with what's left.

Ramen is a staple of college students everywhere.

Fruits and Vegetables maybe some beans, it's cheaper than meat...