What can I cook on a budget?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Go for stir fries. Buy some sesame oil, soy sauce, vegetables, a bit of meat (pork or beef or chicken). That is all you need. A little bit of meat goes a long way with a stir fry.

Or start going vegetarian. Buy some dried beans (black beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, etc) and some rice and start eating beans and rice for your meals.

• denise
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Shepherds / cottage pies.

Pasta dishes / casseroles / bakes.

A boiling fowl / chicken is made tender by simmering in water with a few veggies [the stock can be used later to make soup], It will stretch for a few meals, like;- roasts, salads, pies, sandwiches. the carcass can be further simmered in the reserved stock, strain out the bones, add any leftover chicken meat bits, mini pasta shapes, any leftover veg chopped up, for a tasty soup / broth.

• 4 months ago

By cutting back on costly meats, they can still be incorporated into meals, as stir fries, casseroles, pilafs, and one pot meals, and soups do. In other words, they can still be enjoyed, but not used as an entree to cut costs.

• 4 months ago

It's cheaper if you buy a whole chicken and portion it yourself. You can make quite a few meals out of it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Vegetarian meals.

Pasta, rice.

Check out A Girl Called Jack - she wrote a cookbook while on benefits, so has some great idea for cheap but decent meals

• 4 months ago

pasta---pasta is cheap (get the kind with added protein) rice and beans, egg dishes (eggs are cheap protein)

• 4 months ago

Depends on the budget and size of family, can you give more details?

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

What "budget?" Where in the world are you, how many in your family/group, how much money you can spend? Why do you live? To many factors to give you a single simple answer.

For me, there is no such thing as a food budget -- budget is whatever money is left over once I have food. On the other hand, I don't waste -- I buy on sale. Chicken costs about a dollar a pound, pig about $2/lb, beef $3/lb. Higher cuts of beef can be bought for under $5/lb. "Ethnic" supermarkets have cheaper vegetables. Starches fill you and is cheap, less than two bits/pound.

So what can you cook on a budget? What do you enjoy eating?

As an example, tonight I will be making Chicken Cacciatore -- chicken legs ($.77/lb) onion ($.45/lb) canned tomato (about $3/lb) lesser amounts of whatever, served with French Bread sliced/buttered/garlic/toasted. About $4/serving.

• Groovy_Unicorn
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

See I'm the opposite. I'm bills first, then absolute necessities, then food. I figure I cant keep food cold or cook it if I dont have gas and electric. And if my daughter needs clothes she cant exactly run around naked. We just make do with what's left.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Ramen is a staple of college students everywhere.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Fruits and Vegetables maybe some beans, it's cheaper than meat...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.