promotion image of download ymail app

What kind of spinning wheel are the ones with the spindle like on Sleeping Beauty.?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    Sleeping Beauty didn't do that: she was the main attraction at a theme park. (See "Fractured Fairy Tales: Sleeping Beauty" on You Tube.)

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

    The spindle is the part of the spinning wheel that spins. Before there were spinning wheels (or for people in the old days who couldn't afford one) people would just take the wool or cotton fibers and pull/twist them into a rough rope shape. Then there was this long around thing with a disk at the bottom. You hung this off the end of the rope you made and you spun it, and it would twist part of this rope and compress it into yarn. Then you'd wind that around the long thing and spin the next bit. There was a disk at the end of it to act as a flywheel to keep it spinning. That was called a spindle (today it's called a 'drop spindle'). You still see these sometimes in movies set in the Middle Ages or up to the 18th century.

    Or on YouTube, of course.

    Youtube thumbnail

    The spinning wheel was an advancement to keep the spindle spinning so you could twist yarn continuously, so it went a lot faster. The big wheel served as the flywheel.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

    yeah i do know what you mean

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.