Adam A asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Is there any branch of the U.S. military that recruits anyone in any physical condition and is above the age of 31?

I am interested in possibly giving myself to the military because throughout my life I never truly had any real form of structure/discipline. My mom passed at an early age, and my dad was/is a disconnected narcissist who was/always will be married to his work.

About me - I am overweight, used to have epilepsy (brain surgery), am very out of shape (There are overweight people who are in good shape, I am not one of them), I have depression/anxiety, and am over 31 years of age. Someone once told me, but I never have been able to confirm its validity, that the Peace Corps take people from all different walks of life regardless of his/her condition?

Thank you in advance for informing me.

Your age is not a concern. That isn't anywhere near the maximum age for new people to enter the military. The Air Force accepts individuals who can finish initial training by age 39.

But your current condition would disqualify you. Every service has weight standards with some additional nuances such as waist measurement, body fat percentage, and BMI. There is no waiver for that portion. You'd have to meet (and ideally exceed) the standards for your target service before joining.

As for your mental health: The surgery will likely be a concern as well as if your current condition stops you from performing duties. If you're serious about joining the military, I would recommend contacting a recruiter to see where you stand. Recruiters are your best source for knowing whether you can or can't. I can't guarantee specific services will take you, but waivers do exist for a lot of conditions.

Also consider becoming a government civilian.

• Mrsjvb

of course not. all employers have standards. with the military,. minimum physical standards are necessary

the Peace Corps just like everyone else ALSO has standards because they are sent to remote areas with little to no infrastructure

Honestly..........do you really believe you have any chance with all those issues?

You could be accepted over the age limit, if you had a desireable skill........doctor, nurse, chaplain......

but then the rest would disqualify you.

The Peace Corps is not a branch of the MILITARY.

You can try the Salvation ARMY........also NOT a branch of the MILITARY.

• ?

Unlikely given your medical history.

Yes. Google maximum age for the service that interests you.

I can't even join the military for being color blind, not even the Marines, so just based on this, I doubt they would be able to take you with these issues. I remember, because I asked this high school recruiter marine guy that once when he asked if I wanted a brochure. I was like, do you allow colorblind people? And he said it depended, and was like, can you at least tell the difference between red and green? And I was like, not really, but I know the red light is on the top and green light on the bottom of the traffic signal, but at night it is hard to tell, and I can't pick out my own clothes on St. Patrick's day, and have to ask my mom if something is green. He then said just like, "have a nice day." (I took that as a no. And I didn't want to join anyway, was just curious if they would even take me, but apparently not).

I later asked some officer friends of mine about it, and if that would have really disqualified me, if I actually tried to join, (and they knew how colorblind I was, because I am apparently pretty bad, to not know the walk signal guy is not green) and they said that yes, this would have disqualified me, because I could make a mistake or do something that could cause people to die...I was like, but I've never caused anybody to die being colorblind. And they were like, the military is much different than just regular civilian day to day life. You can't mess around not knowing colors, if it could mean difference between life and death in a combat situation.And don't want people with disabilities bringing others down helping them, because you're causing them to have to be dragging behind. I guess that's understandable.

• Mrsjvb

there's traffic light in Syracuse NY where the green is on top. even non colorblind people have cause accidents there.

No branch of the military would take you.

The Peace Corps is not a branch of the military.

I don't know if they would take you.

Nobody wants you.