Paycheck to SSI - How do I solve this?

I just started working and got my first paycheck two weeks ago. I had already cashed it, but I recently found out that I needed to report it to SSI. I had wanted to set up Direct Deposit at work, but I feel like I can't with having to send my paycheck to SSI. Any possible answers to my dilemma?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

You don't send your paycheck to social security; you send your PAYSTUBS.

Your August earnings must be sent to social security by Sept 10th - it will reduce your October benefit. Proof of Sept earnings must be submitted by Oct 10th, etc.

If you get social security disability instead of SSI disability you don't need to send proof of earnings at all but you do need to notify them that you've begun working. If work ends be sure to notify them of that as well. People who get social security disability benefits need to download and complete form SSA-821. Earnings do not reduce the monthly social security disability benefit because, unlike SSI, social security disability isn't based upon financial need. You are either entitled to the entire monthly benefit or none at all whereas earnings reduce SSI benefits.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

Your employer will report your income and taxes withheld to Social Security. You don't need to do anything other than file your income tax report to the Internal Revenue Service next April.

You don't send the check to SSI...just report the income and provide copies of pay stubs if requested.

• Eva

You download your paystubs from the company site and send them to SS when it is required. Go ahead and set up your direct deposit.

The SSI administration couldn't care less. Who told you that you need to report every or any paychecks or income to them? And why on earth would you send your paycheck to SSI? Unless you are an employer, you wouldn't send any portion of anyone's pay check to SSI.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • RICK

Getting SSI they most assuredly do have to report any sand all income
      Wherever you got your paraslegasl certificate I'd demand a refund