My mom gave away my dog? Please help?

My family got a dog when he was 7 months old from a shelter and he was a family dog. Since then i’ve grown up and moved out on my own while my parents moved out of state with the dog (they said they WANTED to bring him with them) He is now almost 9 years old and my mom made the decision to give him away even though... show more My family got a dog when he was 7 months old from a shelter and he was a family dog. Since then i’ve grown up and moved out on my own while my parents moved out of state with the dog (they said they WANTED to bring him with them) He is now almost 9 years old and my mom made the decision to give him away even though nobody else in the family agreed. Her reasoning was because she didn’t have time for him. I can understand that but i offered to drive there and take him back with me. My sister also said many times she would take him in a couple months when she moved into her own place but our mom ignored us and gave him away anyway. She thinks she did the right thing but I can’t understand why she’d give him to strangers when his actual family reached out to take him. We fought about it when i found out and i just don’t feel like she cares about how broken i am over this. I miss him so much and i love my mom but i resent her for doing this and i don’t feel like i can ever really forgive her for this. i’m heartbroken and i have very conflicting feelings now towards my mom. is there any way to feel better? what do i do? is there anyway to get him back? (she said she gave him to some “family friends” but my stepdad said they haven’t talked in a while & the lady isn’t very welcoming which makes me feel worse)
6 answers 6