Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

My mom gave away my dog? Please help?

My family got a dog when he was 7 months old from a shelter and he was a family dog. Since then i’ve grown up and moved out on my own while my parents moved out of state with the dog (they said they WANTED to bring him with them) He is now almost 9 years old and my mom made the decision to give him away even though nobody else in the family agreed. Her reasoning was because she didn’t have time for him. I can understand that but i offered to drive there and take him back with me. My sister also said many times she would take him in a couple months when she moved into her own place but our mom ignored us and gave him away anyway. She thinks she did the right thing but I can’t understand why she’d give him to strangers when his actual family reached out to take him. We fought about it when i found out and i just don’t feel like she cares about how broken i am over this. I miss him so much and i love my mom but i resent her for doing this and i don’t feel like i can ever really forgive her for this. i’m heartbroken and i have very conflicting feelings now towards my mom. is there any way to feel better? what do i do? is there anyway to get him back? (she said she gave him to some “family friends” but my stepdad said they haven’t talked in a while & the lady isn’t very welcoming which makes me feel worse)

Sorry, but you have no power over the decision. She wanted to give away the dog? She can if she wants to.

Learn to accept that not everything will go your way.

We cant help the deed having been already done

Not your dog. It was never your dog. It belonged to your mother and since you never took care of it and didn't own it, your mom had every right to get rid of it

You moved out and since the dog was never yours, you couldn't take it with you unless your mom who OWNED it signed the dog over to you. Your mom didn't need your permission to give a dog she owned away. She didn't need the permission of any one to give a dog she owned away.

Why should she care how you feel? You never owned the dog. You need to move on and stop crying about something that was none of your business.

You can't get the dog back since it was never yours

• Star_of_Darkness

No it wasn't. The dog belong to your mother and your name can't be on the adoption papers since you were a MINOR at the time and by law minors can't own pets and shelters will not allow a child to adopt. Your mom owned the dog, get over it

I'm afraid what's done is done and you just have to move on with your life, and hope the dog is now settled and with a family/people who will keep him to the end of his days. Mum obviously felt she could no longer give the dog the life he deserved even if, in my view, it was pretty sad to give him away after having him for all those years.

There's no point trying to find him, again in my opinion. Hopefully he is happy again with his new people and to suddenly turn up in his life, will probably only upset him again. To say nothing of the people who adopted him and their feelings!!

• PR

Ask her who she gave him to. Maybe, you could share him with them. They could have him part of the day, or time, and you could for the other time. Either way, ask and maybe you can just get him back. They probably didn't really want him that much, anyway, so they ought to be willing to let you have him back. Tell Mom how you feel and that you want him back, and will find another dog for the other people.

• BORED

Sick and I suspect your provoking a response mine ok and another bit dust tonight.