Computer not working, and keeps refreshing/restarting?

I got a new graphics card, and I plugged the new one in and turned my computer on, as it was turning on, I saw I didn't plug in the DP cable, so I plugged that in, and then I think my graphics card came undone a little, and since then, my computer isn't turning on. I think maybe since the graphics card pulled out a little while the computer was running, my motherboard might've been fried, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Something to consider is static on your body. If you touched the components while the system was on, you probably shorted out the components and it damaged the mainboard.

• VP

You need a healthier respect for electricity, it seems.

My thought is without any model number and brand name of anything, no detail on operating system, age, budget for repair, where in the world you are, how to guess?

Wasted question.

Source(s): Building and repairing PC boxes for several decades. Manufacturing engineer for electronics, computer classes instructor in colleges.
  • keerok

You turned on the computer and then hurriedly tried to connect a missing plug? Hahaha! So you think you're faster than The Flash? Try taking out the new graphics card and revert to your old setup. If the monitor works but does not finish booting, try going to Safe mode.

Turn off, unplug the computer.

Perform a power drain. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Now, put the OLD graphics card back in the mainboard, reconnect the power and boot.

If it boots, then you know the MB is good. (If not, the MB is fried and needs to be replaced....)

Next, if the MB has been found to be good....

turn off, unplug the computer. Always good to do another power drain for testing.

Take out the old graphics card and put the new one in.

MAKE SURE the card is properly inserted and ALL CABLES are connected before connecting the power.

When you boot, immediately get into the bios and check to make sure all settings match the NEW card.

If the computer continues to reboot, either the new graphics card is fried, or it is incompatible with your MB.

• Frank

Remove the card. Unplug the power supply...PRESS THE POWER BUTTON...with NO power. (this discharges residual charges) Put in OLD graphics card...plug it back in power wise. See what happens. If there is no joy...you may have popped the motherboard...or the power supply. A capacitor might be blown...relatively easy to check on the motherboard...harder on the power supply.