What if the lower tenant wont help mow lawn?

So when i moved into a upper lower duplex, I was the upper. The property was all dirt and there were no fences. I was verbally told by the rental management company that the owner will add sod in the backyard, split the yard with a fence, and I would be responsible for lawn care of my section of backyard and the whole front lawn. My lease says I was responsible for all lawn care.

They put a fence around the whole yard but no split. The sod was placed in the front and back. I ve been mowing the whole backyard and watering it because there is no downstairs tenant right now and I can use the whole yard.

I was informed by the contractor building the fence that the owner isnt going to split the yard. When a tenant downstairs moves in, I dont think it s fair that they can use the backyard, possibly ruining the grass, and I would still be responsible. Is there anything i can do? I dont mind lawn care, I just dont want to mow other people s lawns.

If your lease says your are responsible for lawn care, then you are responsible for lawn care. It makes no difference what somebody subsequently told you verbally. You should, though, speak to the management company on a friendly basis and express your views on the matter.

Maybe the rents of the upper and lower units have been adjusted for the lawn mowing? If you pay less than you normally would because you are cutting the lawn then you are, in a sense, getting paid to do it.

• Kevin R9 months agoReport

No I pay $500 more.

When your lease comes up for renewal, try to renegotiate the terms of the lease regarding lawn care. Make the responsibilities clear.

• Nancy

Read your lease. If mowing the whole lawn is part of your lease agreement, then that's what you've agreed to do for the duration of your lease. Failure to do so would put you in breach of your contract. Any conversations you've had with the land lord before or since don't matter. They don't modify the lease. Whenever you have a written contract, all oral agreements become nonbinding and all that is binding is what is actually written on the contract itself, which is your lease. When the lease comes up for renewal, it is at that time you can tell your landlord that you don't want to mow that lawn anymore, and if he agrees to that and puts it in the new lease that way, Bob's your uncle. Until then, you're bound to do whatever the lease you have says you are to do as regards lawn care.

• Kevin R10 months agoReport

Sorry title is a little misleading. Lawn mowing isnt my biggest issue. Its lawn care. I shouldnt be responsible for lawn care if the lower tenant damages the grass.