Why is my turtle biting and scratching himself?

I have a common musk turtle and i recently noticed that he keeps scratching his face and keeps biting his arms and his shell a lot. I just want to make sure this is common or if i need to change something about his set up. Set up: I have a 10 gallon tank as he is still a baby Water temp is usually at 76-79... show more I have a common musk turtle and i recently noticed that he keeps scratching his face and keeps biting his arms and his shell a lot. I just want to make sure this is common or if i need to change something about his set up.

Set up:
I have a 10 gallon tank as he is still a baby
Water temp is usually at 76-79 degrees
He doesn’t have any live plants in the tank just a place to bask and a filter and an area for him to go into if he wants to hide.

This has been his set up for the last 6 months and he’s been fine up until about 2 nights ago when he started biting and scratching.
1 answer 1