promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 9 months ago

I just had a question on what controls a power supply.?

I just had a question on what controls a power supply, I'm not very tech savvy and a another hypothetical question is it possible in theory to inject arbitrary code from one? sorry if it sounds like a ridiculous question to ask. I wont know unless I ask :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

There's not much to control on the power supply. Basically it's just on and off. Controls are through the motherboard (power switch) and from the OS (on, off, sleep, wake, and hibernate).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Dick
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Nothing actually "controls" a power supply other than it's design. Power supplies don't utilize code so you cannot give them "commands", etc. Here's a simple explanation of what the guts of a power supply are and do. Inside the PS box there is a fairly large coil of copper wire. It's also called a winding. The copper wire is coated with varnish and that insulates the windings from one another. The function is as follows. It is supplied 115 to 120 AC volts from the wall socket. This goes into a converter on a circuit board that changes the alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). The direct current then flows into the coil. At different points in the coil there will be an output leg (cable) that feeds the various connectors that you plug into the motherboard, the drives, etc. The output legs may supply 12 volts DC; another may supply 5 volts DC; etc. The voltages they supply are determined by where they are broken out of the coil. That's a very basic explanation without going into a dissertation. Hope it helps some.

• Me2
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

That's a nearly 100% incorrect description, even of the older linear supplies, and of modern switched-mode supplies.  And power supplies are given commands, but not in the way you might think.  How else do you think the operating system can power down the computer?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.