tyson asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Biology/veterinary question here?

My dog sheds a LOT, he’s a white German Shepherd which makes his fur very visible around the house. It’s impossible to clean up all the time because he ends up shedding more. Will his fur decompose naturally over time indoors or will it linger until it’s ALL cleaned?

• P

Groom him outside everyday. Keep him off your furniture. Invest in a vacuum cleaner especially made to pick up pet fur. The best vacuum cleaners for this are The Dyson Ball Animal 2 , Shark Rocket True Pet HV39OUKT and the Miele C3 cat and dog powerline.

My daughter's dog shed so heavily that she bought an extra long safety gate and cordened off a section of her living room so that the dog could still be with the family but was unable to have access to the furniture and other parts of the room.

• Maxi

Brush the dog daily and clean the carpets/floors daily is the only way to reduce a shedding coat /clean it up..... it will remain there until you clean it up and it is the shed coat that makes a house smell....you should also look at the quality of food you are feeding as the dog could need more Omega 3 ( oily fish)

REAL simple; it will not disintergrate; Get a good vacuum cleaner or Swiffer-wet mop, and start CLEANING (OMG!)

2) Learn how to bathe and groom your dog (as needed) or take the dog to a professional if you are TOO LAZY to give it the 5 to 7 day(s) a week, 10 min grooming sessions; it needs. Google "HOW to Groom a German Shepherd" for a list of the right TOOLS to use (if you did not buy from a responsible breeder) - who should have MADE SURE you had the list or that you should be able to call - for the information.

No it won't just disappear. It will be there until you remove it. You should be able to keep on top of all this by regular brushing, and a bath when the normal shed begins (ie end of Winter).

I love white german shephards! Sorry I don't know anything about veterinary science though.

• King Les The Lofty

some toes.
      Some Swiss fanciers took advantage of that to "create" the Berger Blanc Suisse aka White Swiss Shepherd Dog.
      http://www.fci.be/Nomenclature/Standards/347g01-en.pdf

I have to take a deshedding blade to my carpets and furniture when I clean. Try doing that.

No, there is no way around a shedding dog. Best advice I can give is to take the dog in to see a dog groomer & ask for a bath & power dry. A groomer would brush out the coat & check & clean ears, check teeth, empty anals, if needed, cut toe nails, wash & power dry your dog. The power dryer is a reverse vacuum & blows a powerful wind & that will blow out all the under coat that the dog is shedding. After this procedure, you won't see much shedding for a while. Doing this twice a yr keeps the shedded coat at bay.

It may be cheaper in the long run if you bought one of these power dryers & do this at home. They cost about $150 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=HTg2LLh41...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS758U...

It will stay there till you clean it up.