Zane asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

Am I eating enough calories to build muscle?

Usually I eat foods like egg whites, chicken breast, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and post workout protein shakes. But I'm only getting between 800-1200 calories a day. Is this enough to build muscle or will I only be losing fat?

• Julien
    Favorite Answer

If you're a total beginner into fitness, you can pretty much always gain muscle regardless of your calorie intake as long as you have enough proteins (the absolute minimum not to lose muscle is around 1 g per kg of bodyweight and per day, the advised intake for maximal growth is about 2.5 g per kg of bodyweight). But this will not last for long, after a few months it will become essentially impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

So, counting your proteins is much more important than counting your calories.

Not having enough protein is a bad thing, having too much protein is not very good neither (but that's extremely rare I believe). On the other hand "not enough" and "too many" calories only decides whether you're giving more importance to muscle building or to fat loss, two objectives which are usually both seen as positive things anyway.

I have 7 brothers and the first thing that even dad in the army and brother in-laws in the military's to say is protein bars and oat meal which your like O my gosh a few days later on the difference it maid you feel that little pack of oat meal and a protein bars a day which a large value pack online is cheaper and last a hole month and on amazon but the safest heart and body things well training or working a active job so the buy may be the idea after looking into it farther seeing that is what most of them eat during training.