Can i trade in a financed motorcycle?

I got a cb300f as my first bike. I have a 4 year finance on it but i will double my payments. Just not that happy with the bike. Not ideal for highway use, what do you recommend?

Depends on type of financing.

If the bike is collateral, takes financier's permission.

If the loan is unsecured, no problemo.

Source(s): Have EagleBank (HD) financing on my Harley.. They require comprehensive ins. Asked Harley dealer about trade in or sale. They agreed I need speak with bank, first. Had unsecured money loan on my Mazda. World of difference. Could drive with only liability.

The finance company owns a piece of the motorcycle. They will not allow you to sell/trade it until you pay off the loan. So you can't be paying on a motorcycle that they would be unable to repossess if you defaulted on the loan. Go talk to them and ask what you can do.

That depends on you finance company. "Not happy with the bike" MEANING WHAT?

"Not ideal for highway use" What highway are you riding on?

If it about speed, I am sure it can do over 100mph, so what is your issue?

(my 175 could do that speed, though I did not buy it for highway driving so stayed off of the highways. Just got to where I was going to ride off road and did that. It was fine in the city, and in the rural back roads& off road.

. There is NO BIKE that does everything...it is either very fast (and heavy and bulky) so you need a tow truck to lift it should it fall on its side; or it is light and nimble and you can throw around with one hand. Nimble just means easy to direct should you have to cross a ravine on a log that has a crook in it....so you turn in time.

. If you do not know how you will be riding MAINLY. Then you are going to have to burn through a few motorcycles. Buy them used and get used to the weight. So start small, in this case the 300, and go up from there...until you find what is right for you.

. When it rains, NO MOTORCYCLE is any good.

• Road Warrior10 months agoReport

Only a fool doesn't learn to ride in any condition they might encounter. Ride home in that Monsoon, only ******* call a cab.

Lack of detail re financing... but your best bet could be to take it back to the dealer and trade up. If you want bigger, go bigger.

Source(s): Why is it so obvious?

Why don't you buy a cheap Suzuki Bandit as a second bike for frills as you'll always have your new 300cc if there's a problem?

Adding it on insurance shouldn't cost too much because you can't ride both at once!

• Lv 5

I have always paid cash for all possessions, cars, stereos, TVs and motorcycles. Buying on finance is a mugs game as you've found out. Save up.

You ain't riding it right.

• fuzzy

Lose some weight. A 300 - 400 cc bike will easily exceed any speed limit in your area.

• Road Warrior10 months agoReport

Yeah. Our SL is 75 . I have to do 80 to keep her stable on bad roads, against wind. I've done a constant 80 for 140 miles. . No 300 cc can do it For Long.

• Anton

Q. " ... what do you recommend?"

A. Buy USED until you KNOW what you want out of a vehicle.

There is NO ideal vehicle, everything is a compromise.

• Gabe

You can do whatever you want. It's a free country.

My old GP1100 is great on the highway.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without at least a couple seasons riding. The extra 90hp can get you from zero to dead in about 2 seconds. Can hit freeway speed in 1st.

I rode interstate on my ~40 year old cb350 for a couple years. Not ideal, but could make do. Same with my 450, Triumph 650. Both close to your bike in speed.

Jumping to a 100hp supersport (which I assume you want to do) is something I wouldn't recommend if you don't have a season or two under your belt.

My buddy has a 1990's Ninja 250 that he still daily drives without issue.... he got it new.