How can you mulch or compost certain things?

There are some compost / mulch bins in the building I live in so that tenants can put in food scraps and certain other things to be composted. I understand that things such as banana peels, skins of certain fruit that dome people don't eat such as those of mangoes and kiwi fruit and apples (etc) and I understand that the seeds of apples and pears and kiwi fruit can be thrown in the bin to be composted and even the rind of watermelons which is the thick hard skin of a watermelon can also be composted, but what I wonder about is whether large pits such as those from avocados and mangoes and apricots can be composted. Also what about coconut shells and the shells of nuts such as walnuts, Brazil nuts, acorns and peanuts (etc)? Sometimes people throw dead flowers and the stems in. Can those be composted? I have heard that even bread and certain meat such as cooked hamburger can be put in a compost bin. Can raw meat? Some information on the internet say different things.

• Ben

Any plant matter can be composted. Any part of any fruit, vegetable, flower, whatever. If it came from a plant, it can be composted.

That being said, some things take longer to rot than others. I would advise not composting large, hard seeds from things like avocado, mango, apricot, peach, etc., along with hard nut shells like coconut, brazil nuts, walnuts, etc. as these take a long time (several years) to decompose.

Peanut shells and acorns are fine, though. They are soft and rot comparatively quickly.

You shouldn't ever put meat or dairy on the compost, as harmful bacteria can proliferate as they decompose (egg shells are fine, though).

You also shouldn't put cooked food on the compost, even cooked vegetables, as it is likely to attract vermin. Same goes for processed foods like bread.

Other things that are fine to compost include, but are not limited to:

-bedding and droppings from herbivorous pets (hamsters, rabbits, birds, etc.)

-paper and cardboard (torn or scrunched up; don't compost anything with heavy, glossy ink, such as magazines)

-straw

-fallen leaves

-used tea bags and coffee grounds

-egg shells

-old natural fibre clothes (make sure they are 100% natural fibre, that is cotton, wool or silk, and tear into smallish pieces)

-hair (human or pet, it doesn't matter)

-And, of course, any plant matter removed from your garden, etc. (as long as it isn't diseased).