Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 months ago

Why is Gerald Ford so difficult to remember?

I'm aware of the impact of most of the presidents recently preceding him and proceeding him, but he's an enigma, he's not really discussed in US history classes.

What's up with that?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I have always felt sorry for President Ford.

First, Nixon's Vice President (Spiro Agnew) was charged with Income Tax fraud by the Internal Revenue Service.

Second, On the eve of impeachment hearings, Richard Nixon resigned in disgrace.

Third, that leaves only the Speaker of the House (Gerald Ford) to step up and take the place of the President.

This is how he got the job.

Imagine yourself in his shoes: The Vice President is going to prison and the President has resigned in disgrace, the Watergate Investigation is sending almost the entire presidential cabinet to jail for one crime or another. We are in the middle of an illegal and unwanted war in Vietnam and the country is suffering a recession, the President is under federal indictment and someone says to you...."Stand up here, Mr. Ford and be President."

I would say, "Hell, no."

I believe Ford did the best he could during his short presidency.

• Ted K
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Indeed, he was never more than an interim president, who was tainted--really only by association and through no fault of his own--by the corruption of those around him.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

If you talk about Ford you have to talk about him pardoning Nixon... people want to forget that.

• blu
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

His presidency is less than 1 term by about a yr.

If he's difficult to remember, probably because he tried to please too many people and ended up displeasing too many. In other words, his presidency is highlighted w/ ambivalence.

The following lists key events during Ford. It's easy to see mixed positions on policy as it relates to dem/rep today.

https://millercenter.org/president/gerald-ford/key...

• larry1
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Cuz he only got to be US President for 2years as appointee after Nixon got thrown out and until the scheduled 1976 election.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • In
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Jerry was appointed to the Vice Presidency when Spiro resigned, and became president when "Tricky Dick" resigned. He narrowly lost to Mr. Peanut in 1976.

• 4 months ago

It's surprising that he isn't so well remembered - he's the only president who was never elected.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.