Anyone know anything about external Hard Drives??

If i move a file from the drive to my PC (macbook) will that file still be on the HD? Cuz I just deleted those files from my computer :( Im freakin out and my HD is at home 250 miles away

"If i move a file from the drive to my PC (macbook) will that file still be on the HD? Cuz I just deleted those files from my computer :( Im freakin out and my HD is at home 250 miles away"

Assuming you are dealing with the GUI (Finder), here are some terms that will help you:

"move" does not ever happen between two drives in the Finder, unless you installed some special move software. You can only copy in macOS. Then the original file is unchanged, still there. TO CONFIRM THE FILE IS STILL THERE, SEARCH FOR IT. If you hate the original file, you must drag it to the trash, and then empty the trash.

"drive" is a general term that can be applied to the internal startup disk or to an external drive. We have no idea which one you mean.

If you copied files to an external drive, trashed the originals, emptied the trash, and now regret it, JUST COPY THEM BACK.

RULE ONE FOR ALL IMPORTANT COMPUTER DOCUMENTS:

Make a backup.

RULE TWO FOR ALL VERY IMPORTANT COMPUTER DOCUMENTS:

Make another backup.

THUMB DRIVES ARE CHEAP!!!!

<O-O>

Source(s): http://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-CZ60-32GB-USB-2.... (Thumb drive, 32GB, 7 bucks)

No it will not be present from its original location anymore because you "moved" it already. If you "copied" it on thw other hand, it will still be present on the Extrnal drive.

If you did indeed move the file, it will no longer be where it was. If, however, you copied the file and pasted the copy into the PC the original will still be where it was. Which did you do?

I suspect you don't actually know, so all you can do is hope you copied it. Can you get someone you trust to look on the drive and see if it's still there? If not , all you can do is wait until you can get at it yourself.

You may, if you're lucky, be able to look in what passes for a recycle bin on your computer and see if it's still there. If it is, you can retrieve it.

What is on the external hard disk drive will remain on It, any drag and drop functions would merely copy the file and paste it on your MacBook rather than removing the file from the hard disk drive from that location. It will act as a thumb drive.

• keerok

Your Macbook is not a PC! NEVER EVER CALL IT A PC!

Okay, sorry about the yelling. Although technically, the Mac is a PC, out in the street and in the wilderness, it's not. PCs have windows. Macs are Macs. So there.

MOVE is to transfer so if you move from the hard disk of the Mac to the external hard drive, the file is no longer in the Mac. If you want to have the file in both the Mac and the external hard disk, use COPY instead.

Now, calm down. Call your mom at home and ask her to check if your missing file is in your external hard disk.

Well moving it means that the file(s) will be moved (hence the name) from the source to the destination. In that case, any files you move from your PC's hard drive will be moved from the PC to your external drive and they no longer will be on the PC.

However, if you copy files, a copy is created from the original file and transferred to your external drive. It really isn't hard to understand the difference between moving and copying files...

yes it just copies it

If you "move" it won't stay in the drive. If you "copy" then it will. It depends on what you did originally.

• Roberto

I just checked on a Mac and when dragging from the external drive the default action is to copy the documents, so they should still be there.

I took a hard drive to Scotland once but after a short snooze I felt better.

Maybe you should learn the difference between "copy and paste" and "cut and paste".