Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 months ago

If I become a 68W Combat Medic in the US Army will the training qualify me to become an EMT when I become a civilian?

Favorite Answer

Civilian paramedics get additional training beyond that of a combat medic. Transportation, communications and protocol are all different. Combat medics rarely have to transport 600 pound people to the ER for a panic attack. Many schools will give credit for your military training but there is more to it than that.

NO!

as a military med you a Patch up merchant for Battle field injuries only. As a civilian Paramedic the things you will encounter will be vast so you will still have to start from scratch in your paramedic training.

In fact the last thing the Civilian paramedic service need is a military band aid Jockey.

They would rather have a green person to train up from the very start!

• Jason

Yes, kinda sorta.

EMTs are registered by their respective states. You take the National Registry exam, but it is your state that grants you title protection, your scope of practice, etc., under the law. Some states are less permissive about some types of training than others. In the majority of states, as long as you hold a valid NREMT you can apply for state registry/licensure. New York will only accept EMT reciprocity if the NREMT-B was obtained as part of a military or National Park Service training program. So you'll have to check with your particular state how accepting they are of NREMT certification.

68Ws are also permitted to challenge the LPN exam in several states (NY among them).

The Army and USAF are also co-implementing two different versions of a similar program to facilitate members who are getting out transitioning to a civilian career. I only know what I know from my training manager friends who are still in, but in general, the services are trying hard to close the gap between the huge number of military jobs that don't translate to a civilian job. Far too many military jobs train to a high standard but don't come with the requisite licensure, certification, etc., that civilian employers need. Medical jobs are notorious for that. So they're trying hard to improve that gap.

.

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic and training manager
  • RICK

Not directly

It makes you eligible for certification but you are required to get the certification on your own

• Daniel

As long as the training includes certification as a NREMT-B (or higher), yes.

• KaleyK

A similar question might be .... does being military police qualify me to being civilian police? The answer is no, not directly and not automatically. In the case of law enforcement, there is still a screening and qualifying process. However, your experience in the military is a huge advantage and potential employers will recognize your service. I spent four years in combat logistics but it didn't automatically qualify me to work at FedEx (nor do I want to work @ Fedex!).

yes, as long as you keep up with continuing education

No. There's this whole thing about how we're really shitty with our vets and even combat medics who were saving lives and pretty much performing field surgery weren't even qualified to draw blood in the civilian sector.

No. You'll be qualified to be a walmart greeter.

• Mrsjvb

Only if you take the extra step to get certified. It’s not automatic