John asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

My parents feel like they have a right to have a key to my house?

I’m 19 almost 20 and I recently got an apartment and my girlfriend moved in with me. My parents are VERY nosey people. Even after I turned 18 they still felt like they had the right to go through my property or know where I am 24/7. They’re asking for me to give them a key for my apartment. When I asked why all they can say is “just for emergencies”. Ok, I don’t know what kind of emergency is going to require them to get into my house but whatever. I know they just want it so they can go into my house when I’m not there and snoop around. I know this because my mom would ALWAYS go into my sister’s house (she’s 22) and she would clean up the entire house and go through her stuff no matter how many times my sister told her not too. Like wtf I don’t go into their house whenever I please and go through their stuff. They think they deserve a key just because I have a key to their house, which I never even asked for and I have no use for it. Anyway, how do I get them to stop being so nosey?

Best Answer

If you feel comfortable not relying on them for ANYTHING - provide them with the landlord's contact info. and he / she can let them in "in an emergency.."

Not if you are paying the rent. Also, if your girlfriend is sharing in the cost, she has some say-so, if you are afraid to tell your parents NO KEY, tell them that your GF doesn't want others having a key, and her parents don't even expect to have a key.

Not unless you are ok with it they don't.

EASY. The next time your mom asks for a key to your house, remove their house key from your keychain, as you state that you will not be sharing your house key with them. If your mom makes a fuss, then you be honest and tell her that she is having a hard time cutting the apron strings. Tell her that you respect her privacy and you demand that she respects yours.

Stand up for yourself.

Tell your parents that you insist on your privacy, and there will be no key. Then tell them it's the end of the conversation. Seems to me it's your mother, not your father who is the nibshit.

How difficult is saying NO?

just tell them youd rather not give it out

Say no. If they ask, tell them you don't want them going through your stuff.

• P

I'm sure the world will end if they come over and clean your house when you are not home, what horrible parents! I'll give them a key to my place to clean mine.

• John3 months agoReport

So you wouldn’t mind them coming into your house and going through your property without consent?

just tell them youd rather not give out your key

• tony

Never give your keys to anyone you dont want in your home.