Jessica asked in PetsCats · 11 months ago

Can I call the police on a kitten mistakenly taken away?

So I was rehoming my kittens on Craigslist and on my Craigslist it literally says “Tabby Kittens - $150” These two teenage looking guys text me and come to pick one up. Me being nervous and shy didn’t mention the price because I thought they knew but they just ended up taking the kitten and leaving. I stood there in shock because I thought they were gonna pay me. Now I’ve texted them and told them why didn’t they pay me and they said their coworker gave them the number and said they were free kittens. In our text messages before the pickup I didn’t mention the price because I thought they knew. Now they aren’t responding after I told them they can pay me through an app or I can go pick up the kitten. Do you think I can call the police?

No. You let them leave without the kitten and theres no exchange of information between you and them showing an agreement to exchange money.

$150 for a common kitten? Are you smoking crack?

• Nekkid Truth!

Police WONT DO ANYTHING. They will tell you its a civil matter. A judge will throw this case out fast when he finds out that OP let them just walk away with the kitten

• Ken S

I think I don't give a dam about your money. I do care about what will happen to the poor kittens though as you obviously don't give a dam about who takes em

• Ocimom

No. Police will not do anything. YOU failed to mention a price. You had no contract for them to sign. Let it be a lesson for you in the future - get things in writing. Don't assume that a person knows - make it clear at the beginning.

Its a civil matter so the cops won't do anything. You would have to file a report that it was stolen and go to civil court over it. Unless you chipped the cat and have utter proof it was yours, you won't get it back. You never asked for money and let them walk away with the cat so its not really theft and you won't get any money

And no one would ever pay 150$ for a BYBer bred common mutt kitten.

• J C

No, it's not a criminal matter. You can take them to small claims court, that's about it. And sorry to say, those kittens are likely bait for training fighting dogs. Rehoming on Craigslist is not a good thing, and this is YOUR fault for not making it clear that these are not free kittens. You gave them away - plain and simple.

No.............

no one would pay $150 for a tabby kitten--you can go to the pound and get them for about a 50 dollar adoptioin fee--or you can just find a stray if you look hard enough. so I don't think you'd see a cent on any civil case--and he cops won't do a thing--you let them walk off your property and never mentioned payment.

• Teal

The police will tell you it's a civil matter and to go to court. You never asked them to pay and let them walk off with the kitten. Even though they are probably lying about how they got your number, you can't prove they knew you expected payment either. It's the seller's responsibility to clearly communicate their terms. There was no theft. But you were never going to get $150 for the kitten anyway.

you can try asking the police to help you out with all this