bd asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 11 months ago

I accidentally spilled acetone down my drain, what do i do?

So, I was trying to remove super glue from my fingers, but I accidentally knocked over my acetone bottle, and approximately 3-4 tablespoons of acetone spilled down my sink's drain. This just happened about 10 minutes ago, Google, bing, yahoo, duckduckgo, turns up NOTHING relevant. What do I do?

• M.

Flush it through your house drain system by running cold water in the sink for a few minutes (a few gallons).

Acetone may attack plastic drain plumbing.

Acetone is flammable and explosive, but so is methane gas which normally exists in sanitary drain systems.

Dilute the acetone with running water. Problem solved.

• elhigh

Well it's too late to do anything about it now, but acetone does affect PVC. If your drains are made of plastic, that's the most likely plastic and acetone won't do them any favors. Rinse with plenty of water and you should be okay.

Just dump half a sink full of water down the drain and it should flush away out of the pipes. That is about it.

As for the super glue. Leave the harsh chemicals alone. You will sweat off the glue and end up picking it off or chewing it off with your teeth. It does let go. Just give it time.

Rinse your drain out. a few tablespoons isn't going to melt your pipes unless it sets in one place and softens up PVC so just rinse it down the drain.

Your local Environmental SWAT team will be battering down the door shortly.

• Joe

Flush it through with cold water. Run the faucet for five minutes.

If you have plastic pipes (very common), acetone may damage them. You want to dilute it, and flush it through to the main sewer lines, which are much heavier and possibly metallic.

no action is required. the acetone will evaporate quickly

• J

Too small an amount to worry. Just flush it through with water. Acetone is flammable, but not very reactive. Will tarnish plastic.

Nothing. That small amount will be diluted by millions of toilet flushes.