Jerry asked in SportsFootball (American) · 3 months ago

Does losing a Super Bowl hurt a players legacy more than never getting to a Super Bowl?

I am eager to hear your answers but I would like to first give my answer to this question. In short, IT DOES.

When players finally retire and are possibly up for consideration for the Hall of Fame, I would argue that if you were to look at two players with identical stats and one got to a Super Bowl and lost, and one never got to a Super Bowl, the latter player would have a better shot at getting inducted. Sure, we can look at exceptions like Jim Kelly, and Fran Tarkenton but in my opinion the exceptions only serve to further prove the rule.

The HOF caliber players who never got to the Super Bowl benefit greatly from having the "Good player stuck on a bad team" argument in their corner. Frankly I think history would not remember players like Barry Sanders, Warren Moon and Cris Carter AS FONDLY had these guys gone to a Super Bowl and lost but they hold a special place in the hearts of fans because the eternal question of "what if?" always exists.

And to finally rap up my supporting points, when we look at the discussion for greatest QB of all time, and more specifically when we discuss Montana V Brady, the number one argument Montana proponents throw out is that Montana is perfect in Super Bowls (4-0) as opposed to Brady (6-2) but that in my mind is flawed logic because it is like saying an Olympic athlete with 4 gold medals is greater than an Olympic athlete with 6 gold medals and 2 silver medals and yet this flawed logic holds up in the football world. Why?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best Answer

That's a really good question. I actually agree with your points, I think it does. The masses seem to gravitate towards winners like Emmitt Smith OR the underdog super stars stuck on mediocre/bad teams like Barry Sanders. Who they don't seem to favor are the guys that get there and lose like you said. Examples I can think of are Drew Bledsoe and Rich Gannon.

• Bob
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

It only hurts Gannon because he played a really bad game, if he would have a good or really good game and they lost anyway, it might hurt him, but if it did it would be kind of stupid because one player can on;y do so much.

• 3 months ago

I will say yes it does.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

We could speculate for years on this point.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

To me it only does if the player in question played poorly in the Super Bowl that the team he played for played in and lost

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

No, Randy Moss played in two Super Bowls with the Patriots in 2007 and the 49ers in 2012, but his team lost both games Every knowledgeable NFL fan knows that Moss is a top 5 all time, and the argument Randy Moss vs Jerry Rice has nothing to do with Super Bowl rings.

• David
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Only if you got there and ended up as the goat, like missing a 20 yard field goal to lose the game.

• 3 months ago

No. Players do not win or lose games.

Source(s): 54
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

No, Super Bowls are team accomplishments.

• 3 months ago

No it doesn't

• 3 months ago

Ask the Buffalo Bills.

The pinnacle franchise lost the SB four times in a row.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.