Steve asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 3 months ago

Does anyone have any more info on a job about fixing airplanes?

A friend of my mom's told me she knew a place that would give me a loan and I would be given lessons on how to fix planes and once I was done with my lessons they would find a job for me. Does anybody know more about this field of work and how the loan works? I would ask her but I don't think she knows much more than what she told me and I'm afraid of prying too far with questions. I didn't ask for her help she just told me about the job

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best Answer

In the USA the loan is a Federal Direct Student Loan, same as you would probably get to go to any college or technical school. Learn more - https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans

Aircraft Maintenance schools are also known as Airframe and Powerplant or A&P schools, although specialization in Avionics [aircraft electronics] is often one of the training options. You can search for a school near you here - https://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp

The least expensive ones are affiliated with community colleges. The most expensive are private schools. All of them are 2 year programs except at the Unversity of Fairbanks, Alaska, which has an intensive 1 year program of year round study and hands-on training.

Basic Requirements to Become an Aircraft Mechanic in the USA...

You must be at least 18 years old; You must get 18 months of practical experience with either power plants or airframes, or 30 months of practical experience working on both at the same time. As an alternative to this experience requirement, you can graduate from an FAA-Approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School.

You must pass three types of tests; a written examination an oral test a practical test

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

There are lots of schools out there that can train people to become aircraft mechanics. It takes about two years of schooling to become a fully certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (A&P). Once certified, an A&P can earn good money, but the hours are long and the working conditions are not great.

If you want to be a mechanic but aren't all that interested in working on airplanes, I'd suggest you learn automotive mechanics instead. The training time is shorter and the working conditions are usually better.

Source(s): I'm a certified aircraft mechanic (A&P)
  • Blonde
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

‘PennTech’ has a certificate program in Aviation Technologies. I believe it’s located in Williamsport, PA.

• 3 months ago

Research A&P license.

The Airframe and Powerplant license requires passing a knowledge test administered by the FAA.

You will dedicate yourself to at least two years of solid study before you are tested.

You can locate programs where you will study, some junior colleges even have those.

Taking out a loan is a different problem. There is no guarantee you will pass the tests after going through the program.

There is no guarantee you will find employment.

You are guaranteed to owe back the loan, plus a usurious amount of interest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.