My fiance mom doesn't like me and tries to be fake about it, what should I do? Yes my fiance knows and hates how I get treated!?

KILL HER with kindness. Never allow her to see that she gets under your skin. Have your footprints be the only ones on the high road. Remember her on Mother's Day and her birthday by sending lovely cards. Always smile in her presence and be positive.

Stop sharing any personal information about yourself or your life with her son. Keep the conversation light. Give her zero to pick at or criticize. Always be polite and courteous without being sugary sweet and sappy. Never talk to anyone (other than your fiancé, about her).

Soon enough she will realize that you are not a threat to her.

Get her drunk and do her with a dill pickle.&

Do nothing!... If you love your fiance then just continue to show respect to her! I know its hard sometimes but you cant make some one like you. It sounds like it her problem. If things get too bad just stay away! Dont go to her home and if she visits your home just make your self scarce....Maybe your Fiance could have a word about her behaviour towards you!

• Foofa

Better she be fake than to be openly hostile. Of course this your fiancé's battle to fight with his own mother. The only thing you can do is continue to be polite and for sure not progress to the wedding stage until you've ironed things out and could see yourself having a reasonable relationship with this woman (because she's not going to just go away and if you have kids will be in your life on the regular as Grandma).

At least she's attempting to look as though she likes you - so all is not completely lost. I presume you do the same with her? You treat her civilly (as you should a mother in law) and make cordial chit-chat on the occasions you meet up. You don't have to actually like or love her - and she doesn't have to like/love you back. As long as you meet occasionally and smile and play pretend to keep the peace in the rest of the family.....then what's the problem? I wouldn't try and suck up to her with gifts and whatnot - that won't work....as it wouldn't if she sent fake gifts to you. Just be polite and respectful and try and smile a bit in her company and have a happy life. You don't have to live with her 24/7. Oh yes - don't slag her off behind her back either because there'll always be someone who wants to stir the pot and tell her just to make a big drama out of nothing. She's your m-I-l and you are her son's wife......and you both 'get on'. You don't need anymore than that.

• Dr. Stephanie

If she were already married, which she's not, yet, this reply would make greater sense. Right now, she has greater choice about whether to remain engaged or not.

• Trish

That can be difficult as long as she lives she will be in your lives and it can be impossible sometimes. You can try to win her over and buy her gifts like I did but it doesn't work out. She'll be fine for a while and then back to her same ole same ole.

what should YOU do? nothing.

what should HE do? talk to his mother about it...

• Teal

It doesn't matter if she is being fake as long as she is being civil. You two don't need to like each other or have a relationship, as long there is enough mutual respect to tolerate each other and get through family functions. But if that isn't possible, stop seeing her entirely. Your fiance should support this decision and go low contact with her.

i would just stay away from her as much as possible

Nothing to do. Just ignore it. Or avoid her. You aren t marrying her after all.