promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If my csed expired, will I start getting my tax refunds?

It's been 10 years. Statue of limitations should be up on an old debt to the IRS. They kept my refund over those 10 years. Will I be receiving them now?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Even though it was 10 years since they began keeping your refunds you are still obligated to repay any monies you owe since your failure to pay what you owe was discovered within the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is to ensure that people are not charged with crimes after a certain length of time has elapsed. It does NOT mean that it exonerates you from having to pay IF the reason why you owe them money was discovered and acted upon within the statute of limitations. In other words, repayment has nothing to do with the statue of limitations.

Since the reason why you owe them money was discovered within that time frame you are still responsible for full repayment. You want refunds? Then pay them what you owe them (and the rest of the taxpayers).

• NA
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Have you read the IRM for CSEDs?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

There is no reason why you shouldn't.

• 7 months ago

Best way to avoid the IRS taking your refunds is to pay the correct amount of tax over the course of the year so that there are no overpayments to refund you. Take a look at your allowances. If you have too few, increase them.

• NA
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Well of course yor refunds were kept, you didn't pay what you owed.

Are you sure the collection statute dates have all expired and the acc ount balance shows zero?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.