I have a single pole switch with only 2 wires coming into it. Can this be converted to a combo switch/outlet and how?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

NO!

Not as-is.

A NEUTRAL wire must be added.

(And possibly a ground wire).

It MUST be within a cable or conduit.

You can't just add one wire loose in a wall.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

It can be done, but the tenor of your question makes me think it's a bit beyond your scope unless you're willing to read up on what is required.

If the two wires going into the box are both black, both blue or both red, then you would need to pull at least one wire, preferably two.

Switches interrupt the power to fixtures by breaking the hot line of the circuit. You don't have to have both the hot and neutral going through the box, though they often do since they're both coming from and going to the same place. The neutral simply goes past the switch without being affected by it.

But occasionally, as here, only the hot goes through the box. If you want to add an outlet, you'll need to add the neutral and preferably a ground. Without those, an outlet is just a bit of abstract art.

I won't go into the in-depth instructions of how to go about that. Either you can do it, or you can research the topic and figure out how to do it, or you can't - in which case you need an electrician.

Good luck with it.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Yes.

Study the electrical box and memorize the wiring.Color code.

Go to HOMEDEPOT & ask in the electrical department by showing the simple sketch of what you got. If HomeDepot is not your nearby builder's supply then go to the one that is in your town, Usually the guy who works in the electrical department has a fair idea of how electrical works and can guide you as to what you need.

My house was built in an age where every electrical box ( a box can be square or circular) my electrical boxes are all made of metal. Usually a 3 wire line goes in(one is bare metal, one is white, and one is black) The bare wire is screwed into the back of the metal box on the inside and that is the ground. Then the switch is on a metal shaft and it has 2 screws on the side. Some have 3 (colors are silver, brass(or blacker color) and green.) Green is for ground for those who did not fasten it to the "box" then it can go under the green screw. The white screw is for the white wire, and the brass or dark screw is for the black wire.

. The metal shaft that screws onto the box to hold the light switch grounds it to the metal box...which is already grounded by that ground wire.

. What you are looking for is the special outlet that has a light switch attachment. Not the usual way to go except in special situations. My bathroom has that. However the light switch must be turned on at the same time (that is fine as I only need the power for shaving and I do not shave with the electric razor in the dark.) It is also GFI

. Many builders supplies have a wall for DIY EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTION Pamphlets to do many tasks yourself. This is simple wiring. Do it NEATLY & there is no problem. No electrician's tape. Use wire nuts. to hold wiring together inside the boxes

Fairly simple. You are not wiring up a 4 way light switch circuit. So it is easy.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

You have here an opportunity for education or for a Darwin award. Pay careful attention to the answer provided by the STEPHEN person.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

ok you have a hot and a switch leg. one of those wires goes to the light and the other is the power going to the switch.

Ok you need at least 1 more wire. You need a neutral(white) wire that goes back to the breaker panel.

You might be able to use the one from the ceiling light and bring that down to the switch/outlet.

This maybe above you level of ability. Electricity is nothing to experiment with. Call a electrician or handyman

Source(s): journeyman electrician
  • 11 months ago

Not without running a neutral wire. If in doubt get a local electrician to look at it and advise.

Source(s): Retired UK electrician.
  • 11 months ago

no. the outlet requires three wires incoming and the switch one outgoing ... you don't have that many. another line would have to be run from somewhere to do this

• y
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Not without running wires

• 11 months ago

Maybe you could if you put a ground fault circuit interruptor in as the outlet.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Where do you find a GFCI that works without a neutral?

• 11 months ago

No it can't. You have a hot wire but no ground and neutral.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.