My generator would run my 3.5 ton AC for years. All of a sudden the AC clicks on and right off no apparent load on generator. Any thoughts>?

• P
    Favorite Answer

I'm assuming the AC still works on the regular powerline. When AC compressors get older they can require a lot more amperage to get started and the generator isn't providing enough wattage for what it is trying to draw. It's kind of like trying to start an old car that isn't easy to start on a weak battery. You also might be a little low on freon causing a harder start. This is an early warning sign of future AC issues.

• Juergen11 months agoReport

kind of hoping it wasn't so. Surge capacity is 13.5 kw and running 7500 kw. But at 77 I can't do what I could do at 40.Thanks for your answer.

YOUR GENERATOR WAS OVERLOADED BY A/C THAT TOOK HUGE POWER SURGE DURING ON AND OFF DURATION, POSSIBLE ITS THERMO BREAKER WAS ALREADY DAMAGED BY SUCH OVERLOAD FROM TIME TO TIME.

it's broken?