Roughly How many dialects are there to the English language spoken in the United States? Please name as many as you know. Thanks.?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

When you talk about dialects then you have to go to England.The U.S. and Canada have no English dialects.

I am not talking about accents or people who speak English badly.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

there re no dialects, those re accents

• John P
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

No, they are dialects. Does the whole of the USA use the expression "youse" as the plural of you?

• Pontus
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Here is a Wikipedia list of American dialects. There is no universally accepted list, but this is a reasonably good one.

Within a dialect group, there are often sub dialects. For example, I live in Michigan and am part of the Northern dialect. However, Michigan has some words, pronunciations, etc that are unique to it, compared to other states in the Northern group.

Within Michigan, there are subtle differences as well. The Upper Peninsula sound s a bit different from the Lower Peninsula. I was raised in Norther Lower Michigan, but now live in the Detroit area. Most people don't notice, but a few can tell that I am not native to the Detroit area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dialects_of_...

• ...Show all comments
    • Pontus
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

An accent is one aspect of a dialect. The two are not entirely separate things. I misspoke. Not really Michigan itself. Words that are common in Michigan but a few other places as well. I apologize.

• 11 months ago

Boston accent

New York accent

Texas accent

Lusiana (Louisiana) accent

California accent

Midwest accent

Ozarks accent

Amish accent

Hawaiian accent

Southwest accent

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dave
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

No two people are going to agree on this one. Roughly, there are from six to eight dialects in American English. But the minute one says "New England" or "Midwestern" or "Southern" (there, I named 3, and that's all I'll give a name to), somebody else will want to disagree, saying "his Southern is not the same as my Southern English" , etc. etc.

• 11 months ago

Mainly only two as evidenced by conservatives on Y!A, they being:

A) BoIIocks

and

B) Total boIIocks

Source(s): Brit
    • M.
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

You only acknowledge conservatives? What about lefties and libbies?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.