In a Job interview when they want to know my desired salary, how should I respond if I'm willing to take less to get the job?

I live in a semi-rural area and work at one of the largest employers in the area and my commute is just a few minutes. I have been here 20 years and was recently told I would be laid off in December. In order to make the same salary I am making I will have to drive at least one hour to a larger city. If I choose to... show more I live in a semi-rural area and work at one of the largest employers in the area and my commute is just a few minutes. I have been here 20 years and was recently told I would be laid off in December. In order to make the same salary I am making I will have to drive at least one hour to a larger city. If I choose to stay local I know I wont be able to get the same amount of money but If I like the job I may consider it to stay local. During an interview with a local employer when they asked what I am looking to make I gave them a number around what I make now. I think this eliminated me as a potential candidate. Obviously I want to get as much pay as I can but how can I express that I would take less than I currently making without opening the door to them lowballing me?