In a Job interview when they want to know my desired salary, how should I respond if I'm willing to take less to get the job?

I live in a semi-rural area and work at one of the largest employers in the area and my commute is just a few minutes. I have been here 20 years and was recently told I would be laid off in December. In order to make the same salary I am making I will have to drive at least one hour to a larger city. If I choose to stay local I know I wont be able to get the same amount of money but If I like the job I may consider it to stay local. During an interview with a local employer when they asked what I am looking to make I gave them a number around what I make now. I think this eliminated me as a potential candidate. Obviously I want to get as much pay as I can but how can I express that I would take less than I currently making without opening the door to them lowballing me?

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

something like I'm making x now but can be negotiable if local and depending on benefits and potential for advancement. good luck.

negotiable ... then play it by ear in the interview process.

Just say "hey, I used to make more, but that job is gone. I'm interested in the going rate until I prove myself working for you."

After that, as long as you don't curse them out or something insane, you'll probably get the job. 20 years in one plays shows some serious commitment...I'd hire you most likely.

Tell them you're interested in the going rate.