Found wild pigeon outside my door and it won't fly. Help please I don't want it to die.?

Outside my door out in the open I walked past a pigeon and it didn't fly away. I went up close and he appeared not to have even seen me. I didn't want any predators to get him so I picked him up and he squealed but didn't try to run away. I put him in a large cage in my backyard. Put bread bits, cat... show more Outside my door out in the open I walked past a pigeon and it didn't fly away. I went up close and he appeared not to have even seen me. I didn't want any predators to get him so I picked him up and he squealed but didn't try to run away. I put him in a large cage in my backyard. Put bread bits, cat food pieces, and a bowl of water, but he wouldn't eat.
I'm getting really worried. His eyes look crusty and watery so I think he is blind. I went to the backyard after a while and found a bunch of cats surrounding the cage or lying on top of it. So i covered the cage with a large cloth but they are still hanging out around the cage. I need help please I get really soft for animals and I don't want it to die