Native English speakers, could you please help me with these isssues?

1. Does this sentence make sense:

"When I return home, I don't know if my dog is happy to see me, or if he's happy because his SUSTENANCE is now assured."

2. And if it does, what do you understand by 'sustenance' in this context?

Favorite Answer

The sentence does make sense, although it's quite formal. "Sustenance" refers to food.

It is a bit meaty (over the top). You could just say: 'My dog is really happy to see me when I come home as he knows he is going to get fed'.

Moving forward you could add humour. 'I think the only reason my dog is pleased to see me is because he is going to get fed when I get in'.

Your statement is not wrong but few people would express it in this way. Hope this helped.

• Bob

1: Yes... it's slightly contrived and doesn't sound like really natural speech but it makes sense.

2: Food.

"When I return home, I don't know if my dog is happy to see me, or if he's just happy because he knows he's going to get some food."