Oranges asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 9 months ago

Do doctors take their kids to a doctor?

Like another doctors office

• Nancy
    Favorite Answer

Yes. It's unethical for a doctor to medically treat their own family, hence the practice of professional courtesy, a widely accepted practice among doctors to treat other doctors and their families for free.

To be clear, a doctor can lose their license by treating themselves or family members. There are exceptions, like in emergencies and for very minor issues, but even in those situations, doctors risk losing their license by treating themselves or family members because gaining an exception after-the-fact is contingent on others seeing it the same way, particularly their state's medical review board. That's why, generally speaking, doctors err on the side of caution and have relationships with other doctors to this end, relationships wherein one doctor has full access (i.e., 24-hour, including the ability to call that other doctor at home) to another doctor for treatment of themselves and their family and then that other doctor gets the same thing in return.

So, if my kid has trouble sleeping, I don't just scrawl out a prescription for Xanax, which would certainly land me before a medical review board. Rather, I call another doctor I know and tell him my kid has trouble sleeping and let that doctor decide a course of treatment, which I as a parent then have the right to accept or decline.

• Roddy

Firstly, many doctors are neither general practitioners (seeing all sorts of ilnesses and problems in patients as a first line of advice) nor pediatricians (with special knowledge of kids problems). They therefore seek the services of another doctor who is experienced in those fields.

Secondly, a parent can be too close to the kid and their environment to see all the possibilities, so it is usual to take them to another doctor for anything potentially serious. Almost any doctor can, however, deal with minor things like a cold or tummy upset.

Yes, I know two doctors who did take their kids to another doctor. They sent me to him him as well. Different type of specialist.

Mostly, yes; as not all docs know anything about kids. Its NOT illegal however (there is no law on the books prohibiting docs from treating their own family) but its not recommended as you are biased and may not see the whole picture. They can certainly write for tests to start, and a simple thing like conjunctivitis sure they will treat it. They may ask a colleague too off the cuff for advice. What is not recommended is writing for controlled substances--THAT will get them into hot water.

Source(s): PA & MD
    • Lili

Diane, I'm afraid that Nancy comes across as a medical professional; you most certainly do not.

• Zirp

yes, in principle they take their kids to some other doctor (general practitioner)

• Bob

Yes, doctors doctor doctors' kids

Yes they do, when they can't heal them

• ?

well of course they do as they are unable to treat them