How can you become a ship crew member? What licenses do you need to get?

Hi.

I want to become either a pilot or a ship's captain someday.

Becoming an airplane pilot is very clear and there are lots of information about it. You need to get your PPL, MEL, CPL and accumulate some flight hours by working as a flight instructor.

But becoming a officer on a ship is very hard to know. What licenses do I need to get? Where should I begin?

Favorite Answer

I've been sailing for 26 years and could tell you pretty much how to do it, but that's only for the country I'm in. Not going to waste the time typing it all out when you might be from a different country.

Maritime Academy schooling, or US Coast Guard, or US Navy are routes to becoming a ship crew member, then mate, then a captain. But it takes decades of experience for large vessels (over 50 feet).

Our geophysical vessel in Caribbean 49 years ago had a reserves US Navy commander as captain. He was strict, but very knowledgable. US Naval Academy graduate. Was uneventful mostly, a little stormy (hurricane season). But one day there was smoke everywhere and the engineer came running up from below. He was almost ready to pull the fire extinguishers when assistant engineer said it was only the diesel engine's supercharger bearings burning up. It was a new one, just installed and had not been cleaned properly. Its oil lube holes were still plugged. Just a lot of smoke, but when you are 50 miles from anywhere or anyone, pretty scary.

Source(s): My neighbor's son did the academy route, served at several levels, now he is a captain for various sized yachts in Mexico, Caribbean and Mediterranean Seas.

Just know that for every ship's captain there are a thousand people who want to be one. That is like deciding you want to be the President of a major corporation.

• Tavy

You join the

Navy and work your way up the ranks. Having a degree helps.

• Andy6 months agoReport

I'm talking about a large commercial ship

You are not providing any information. Where are you...how old are you? Have you ever even BEEN on a ship? Have you ever even been on a ship when the weather and water are AWFUL and TURBULENT? I am guessing you have no clue. It is a BORING BORING BORING job. It is also a potentially DEADLY job.