Is there still a problem if you accept the problem? Why or why not?

Awhile back I heard a story about a frog in a pot where if you turned up the heat slowly....it accepted the problem.

It will still be a problem until it is resolved.

Of course there is still a problem.

The big problem right now is the Environmental one.

And if one truly believes in the Popperian method as I have always done

-even been taught it as I have explained- then that big-problem-future is

quite easily mapped by doing some logic + economics + politics + philosophy.

Of course through the years it has been quite obvious what was going to

happen & like many others back-in-the-day we could see what was frighteningly

real in biology with animal numbers falling with increasing habitat reduction

(see also E. Kolbert The sixth Extinction).

The minor problem of philosophy's method was of course not a minor one to

others like me. But philosophy's bankruptcy was all-too-easy to any enquirer

worth their salt although I except that it took the life-work of one of our best

scholars to bring it to mass publication & so-to-life.

let me just say this; I feel more sorry for students of philosophy than I can

ever do for those who will "hold on" against all the evidence which is

available for critical-rationality. And because the philosophy system may

not change (& change too late where large parts of the natural environment

becomes inhospitable to humankind & so to reason.

(obviously I include as part of "natural environment" philosophy teaching &

learning of the universal educational kind).

While philosophy ponders & backtracks (= as its not going forward but increasingly

historicist et al) we could see a big rise -under environmental pressure- in bad

things like "fake news" & misinformation. We have seen a lot of this in the theory

that things are getting colder not hotter & that there is no global warming or any

such danger. Ludicrus I know but its poss origins via organised multi-national

companies is not. So along with fake news there could be a considerable rise

in corruption also.

Fortunately there is a way that we here in philosophy can better tackle this

Environmental problem, specifically putting it at the forefront OF TEACHING too.

That is To Map philosophy itself as (I agree a smaller) part of the total environment

now...yet using the revolutionary & cutting-edge new objective method -our only

logical one incidently- using this search method to quickly yet flexible map all

or MOST OF THE PROBLEMS associated with "the Environment".

This will have to be done more-than-once (but not too many times) hence

as I say FLEXIBLY (yet Quickly..).

This shouldn't be an enormous problem in itself, certainly one which is likely

& probable given the required will (& with the earliest start a successful resolution).

I myself here in various places have argued for some practical measures like

the immediate acceptance of the U.N. of Nation-wide population reductions

via education, small families & economic pressure (paying small families, not

then those that have more children).

As I say this should be one of the CHARTERS of membership of the United

Nations, and at or near top priority. I am not-too-sorry for being rather blunt

but to be fair I myself have almost wasted years of my time here trying like

hell to cajole & give clear examples of a simple but necessary change to

(what has usually been seen as the FAITH behind our western learning

culture..) HISTORICAL Philosophy.

Historicist philosophy was a complete mistake - a rational one for & from

which we need NO apologising for.

And those who stick to the old system are as much a part of th problem AS

THOSE WHO USED TO BELIEVE THE FAKE ENVIRONMENT NEWS.

This is clear now & hopefully "my problem" will increasingly become a thing

of my past so becoming someone else's problem (better able to complete it

too!).^

• small

Yes, because if you accept a problem, the need to find a solution for it becomes the next issue.

Excuses. Deny you have a problem until you can no longer ignore it or refute its existence, and then begin to make excuses for why the problem exists. But denial and excuses bring you no closer to solving the problem.The first step in solving a problem is recognizing there is one”Acknowledging a problem exists is the first step to finding a solution. Coming out of denial

I agree with John P; it depends on what is meant by "accepting the problem". Additionally, I think it depends on what, specifically, the problem is.

I define a problem as a situation that is other than what one desires. Normally one will try to solve a problem by trying to change the situation such that a more desirable situation is achieved.

Accepting a problem might mean recognizing the fact that one is powerless to change the situation. This might alleviate some of the negative effects (such as mental stress) that are causing the situation to be undesireable, but it might not alleviate all the negatives. (If mental stress is the only negative, I don't think it was much of a problem to begin with. I'm thinking of someone that has a problem with someone else's haircut, or piercings, or some some such thing.) An amputee might see the loss of their body part as the problem, when perhaps it would be better to see it as figuring out how to do things without the body part. If one can get from point A to point B without the use of legs, then in regard to this specific task, the lack of legs is not a problem.

• Jay R

Simplistically, a problem is something that bothers you. Attitude and point of view cause and/or solve problems.

• peter m

Trivially or not I would add that we have no critically rational Choice either.

Yes, there will still be a problem

since 'acceptance' of a problem is not always the necessary remedy to it.

yes, its still there until you solve it

• John P

Depends what is meant by "accepting the problem". If I, living in the UK, want to go and see my son in Spain tomorrow, the problem would probably be the very expensive flight. I might decide to pay that vast price, but at the end of the month the problem would be transferred to my bank account. Thus still a "problem" for me, but a different sort of problem than that of "missing my son", resolved by travelling at vast expense to see him.

So what are you really asking?