Movies Section: What are your thoughts on Lord of the Ring/The Hobbit Movie Series?

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

6. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

All three of the Lord of the Rings movies are amazing. Return of the King is one of my all-time favorite movies.

As for The Hobbit movies, they were okay. It would've been better if they were one movie, or maybe two movies, but three made it feel bloated and tedious.

• The Lord of the Rings is a great set of movies.

The Hobbit is just a horrible way to dig up Tolkien and bugger his dead corpse.

• Mark

Enjoyed LOTR because it was very grounded, realistic in its depiction of the races, locations, etc. Didn't see The Hobbit. The trailer (and clips I've seen) put me off so much, mostly on account of its bloated storylines that stretched thin material, even thinner. It came across as a glorified video game. The Amazon series focuses on early history.

They are very good movies. Great special effects, good acting, a good stories. They are not, as a reader, as good as the books, but so much in the books is left to the imagination, while a movie puts it all before your eyes. I would go back and read any of the books again AND see any of the movies again. Great entertainment.

As I have never read the books, I can't whine about how they weren't true to the books.

They were good movies, as they were.

However, as a book lover......I DO understand when a movie lets you down, and veers wildly from the book.

Dan Brown's Inferno kept fairly well to the book......more or less...........until they got to Venice......and then it was. like..........WTF?????????? The needle just completely scratched off the record.....and they changed the entire ending,.

I know Clive Cussler was so PISSED at what they did to "Raise the Titanic"......that he swore he would NEVER sell the rights to another of his books *ever* again. (and the guy has written over 70 of them since, so stood to make a FORTUNE!!!!)

He finally relented 25 years later........and let them try again with "Sahara"-

When asked what he thought of the movie, his famous reply was......."Call me in another 25 years. "

and he hasn't sold another since. A true pity too, as most of his books *would* make excellent movies.......if they could just find a director to stick to the book as written.

• Weasel McWeasel

Yes, I enjoyed the movies very much..........but as I said, I wasn't familiar with the books, so I wouldn't know what, if anything, was not right or out of place or whatnot.

• Laredo

I have never read any of the books so the films were new to me and I have to admit that I really enjoyed all of them. My husband has read the books and although he also enjoyed the films he made the comment that the books were better, which is the usual thing to say when someone has read the books. I just thought it was a good storyline and there was some really great actors/actresses in the film. When the films are shown on the television I do watch them all again.

The only thing I did not like about the films was the character Precious, I was hoping that an Orc would eat him or kill him off. I also thought Orlando Bloom with the pointed ears as Legolas was lovely, really lovely!

i thought all of the films were terrible and an insult to tolkiens works, the only good adaptation was bakshis lord of the rings animation featuring john hurt and william squire in 1978.

The Lord of the Rings are usually much more liked than the Hobbit films, for myself as well.

They're all well made films, the film adaptation has a lot of differences from the books though.