What happened to my car?

A mechanic will be looking at it later today, but I'd like a heads-up on what could be wrong.

I'd like to know if I need to rob a bank or just take out a small loan. LMAO!

But seriously, though... here is what happened...

My brakes have been squeaking for about a week. I just haven't had time to take it in yet. Yesterday, as I was braking for a stop light, I heard a small "pop" and my car fishtailed. The pavement was dry, so I immediately pulled into a parking lot and stopped.

I got out and walked all around the car, thinking a tie rod went out. The tires looked normal, and none were flat... so I thought I would ease it on home and call a friend of mine (he's the mechanic who's looking at it today). But it felt off, and when I tried to stop again, it fishtailed again. BAD. Even if I just tapped the brakes! I pulled over and called my step dad. He came to get me and actually drove it to his house, fishtailing all over.

It's currently parked.

But does anyone know what could possible be wrong?

Thanks!

If it makes a difference, I have a '93 Buick Roadmaster. I know, I know... it's ancient. lol

seems like a seal in one of your slave cylinders

YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. Every vehicle make is different in the way they are constructed and different years have different STUFF.

"My brakes have been squeaking for about a week."

Immediately you need brake pads up front. before it does not stop anymore...&/or you damage the rotors.(which costs more to fix) You do not need the added cost, right? We are all in that same financial bind, not wanting to spend on the car when we do not have to and instead buy more BEER.

. Now there is no need to exaggerate. You have no idea what FISHTAILING IS otherwise you would never had said that. Your whole rear end of the car pulls out and passes you and you are facing azz backwards "almost" >when you fish tail.< Try it in the winter on the icy roads. Basically OUT OF CONTROL.

Not a nice feeling. It is a feeling of helplessness when you have no control.

I am going to guess it is more of something you feel with your butt as your car skids. and ABS lets go and reapplies again. as a rotating wheel slows you down faster than a skidding wheel.

. Chances are decently good you may need rear brake shoes TOO. Not drums, just the shoes. Maybe the brakes are also leaking, but they will not know until they take it apart. That is the only time they can assess the situation. Go with the mechanics recommendations. Yes it is more work for them and more parts installed; but that is normal....if you want to drive a car. Sooner or later it is going to happen.

Really, a mechanic does not want a long job to do on any 1 car. They would rather pump out 10 in a day fixing all sorts of problems because they can make MORE MONEY THAT WAY than bugger around on the same vehicle doing many things. It gets boring. Several hours and your car should be fixed...and ready to roll. The parts are all available. 24 years is nothing. Cars cruise in from the 50's and 40's

Brakes are parts that wear out when they do. Not a financial hardship. Maybe no beer for 2 weeks, but no big deal.

. Have the mechanic write down everything he notices that is up and coming in the future so you are able to prepare for it when it does come around.

• skeptic

A rear control arm broke? Wow. I don't think I've ever come across a situation where the one of the rear control arms broke off. There must be an underlying cause why it snapped. That's just not common at all.

Roadmasters are disc brakes in the front, and drum brakes in the back. Are the wheels bent inward in an abnormal fashion?

Can you still drive the car forward? (you wouldnt be able to move forward if the axle was broke)

Here is what I think. THe rear brakes on your car are drums in the back.

Maybe it is something as simple as you broke some sort of mechanism in your drum brakes.

It would probably be about 500 dollars but not outrageous like $1000 or more.

Source(s): nothing
    • Salt and Peppy

Yes, it still drives forward. My step dad drove it 5 or 6 miles.

Fishtailing? Are you describing that the rear of the car is doing this action, or the front???

If it's the rear, it sounds like one of the drum brakes on the rear has broke its internal parts.....and is not braking on one side.

With having only one drum brake working on the rear, it would jerk with a sideway action in one direction when you applied the brakes......because one side would be braking while the other would keep rolling. When you let off the brakes, the car would jerk itself back to driving straight again.

causes of the problem

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technolo...

typical repair costs (based on problem)

https://autoservicecosts.com/brake-pad-replacement...

According to that second page, repair costs range from

$150 - for cheap brake pad or caliper repair

to

$550 - for expensive rotor repair

• David

It probably needs new brake pads all around because all wheels are not baking at the same time which is not too expensive.

• Salt and Peppy

This sounds better than a broken rear axle. lol

• Sandy

maybe your rear axle broke. you need to look underneath the rear of the car.