What happened to my car?

A mechanic will be looking at it later today, but I'd like a heads-up on what could be wrong. I'd like to know if I need to rob a bank or just take out a small loan. LMAO! But seriously, though... here is what happened... My brakes have been squeaking for about a week. I just haven't had time to... show more A mechanic will be looking at it later today, but I'd like a heads-up on what could be wrong.
I'd like to know if I need to rob a bank or just take out a small loan. LMAO!
But seriously, though... here is what happened...
My brakes have been squeaking for about a week. I just haven't had time to take it in yet. Yesterday, as I was braking for a stop light, I heard a small "pop" and my car fishtailed. The pavement was dry, so I immediately pulled into a parking lot and stopped.
I got out and walked all around the car, thinking a tie rod went out. The tires looked normal, and none were flat... so I thought I would ease it on home and call a friend of mine (he's the mechanic who's looking at it today). But it felt off, and when I tried to stop again, it fishtailed again. BAD. Even if I just tapped the brakes! I pulled over and called my step dad. He came to get me and actually drove it to his house, fishtailing all over.
It's currently parked.
But does anyone know what could possible be wrong?
Thanks!
Update: If it makes a difference, I have a '93 Buick Roadmaster. I know, I know... it's ancient. lol