How can I start an indoor farm or green house business and get customers?

Favorite Answer

Very difficult to pull this off, its just cheaper to grow outside in most places.

There are greenhouses and whatnot who grow specialty foods though, you could look into doing that. Grow some cool foods and offer them to restaurants...

• John

Yeah, all the greenhouses I know of around here (Northern California) are on around 5 acre plots of land. Some of them much more than that.

• Jay

I had done some research on vertical farming a couple years ago for a guy interested in the warehouse farming business

I can give you figures to work with – it was romaine lettuce (and other salad greens but I remember the romaine)

The first warehouse space he was looking at was 15,470 sq ft and is 40 feet high. It rents for $12.00 to $13.00 per sq ft. plus utilities and common area maintenance

The first warehouse space he was looking at was 107,600 sq ft and is 40 feet high. It rents for $12.00 to $13.00 per sq ft. plus utilities and common area maintenance

Each head of lettuce needs 1 sq ft of space plus room for the growing tray (5 inches deep) and a foot of height so each one needs 12” x 12” x 17”

So in the 15,470 space you can grow 27 levels high – 15,000 lettuce plants on each level – (405,000 plants at any one time)

In the 107,600 space you can also grow 27 levels high – 107,000 plants on each level – (2,880,000 plants at any one time)

Each head of lettuce needs 65 days to mature from seed…. you can get 5 crops ‘per year’ (It needs to be set up so lettuce is constantly being planted and harvested)

Each head of lettuce can wholesale for $0.75 to $1.25 per head depending on the season.

So…with 27 levels… once you start you would plant two (?) levels a week….it will take 65 days…9 weeks for the first two level to be ripe …and after that you will harvest and plant every week.

SO…looking at the 15,000 plants per level – if you harvest and sell 2 levels (30,000 plants) every week…and you sell them for $0.75 each…that is a gross income of $22,500.00 per week ( *52 weeks is $1,170,000.00 )

But you will ALSO need the Hydrophonic equipment and I cannot find my notes on that.

Through advertising, coupon offers, scheduling community events to gain consumers through word of mouth.

Very high chance of failure.

• Tavy

Money for land and a business plan.